Is two roosters too much for nine hens?

• Total voters
Get rid of one. Id keep the Wyandotte just because the one I have is the best and gentlest rooster Ive ever had. He has never tried to attack me and is always a gentleman with the ladies. Two roosters will over breed the hens and especially the "favorites".
Thank You!!! :celebrate

I too like having roosters, and choosing the 'keepers' can be a challenge. I think one, or none, would work out best for your small flock, but then deciding who is tricky. If either is thinking bad thought towards you, or especially if you have small children, that's an automatic 'out'! Otherwise, let one go, and see how the other works out in your flock.
I love Wyandottes too, but breed isn't a guarantee of good behavior!
Is your Ameraucana actually an Easter Egger from a farm store? If he's an EE, I'd keep the other one...
Mary

Get rid of one. Id keep the Wyandotte just because the one I have is the best and gentlest rooster Ive ever had. He has never tried to attack me and is always a gentleman with the ladies. Two roosters will over breed the hens and especially the "favorites".
Thank you so much for the advice! :)

I too like having roosters, and choosing the 'keepers' can be a challenge. I think one, or none, would work out best for your small flock, but then deciding who is tricky. If either is thinking bad thought towards you, or especially if you have small children, that's an automatic 'out'! Otherwise, let one go, and see how the other works out in your flock.
I love Wyandottes too, but breed isn't a guarantee of good behavior!
Is your Ameraucana actually an Easter Egger from a farm store? If he's an EE, I'd keep the other one...
Mary
Thank you so much! <3 This is my first time with roosters on my own. I have only had hens for the past three years on my own. I have had past experience with chickens since I was a little kid. We have always had a backyard flock. It’s just a tough decision for me, but I always have in mind what’s best for my flock.
The Ameracauna is an Easter Egger. We hatched him out of a hatching eggs in April! they are both fine with small childen, but the Ameracauna has pecked me a few times over food... I know that if I give One to another family that they will live a good life. :hit

I've seen small flocks with 2 roosters that worked because the boys were raised together and had established a pecking order. But if can find one a good home, you can avoid any problems that come from too many fellas: fighting roosters, overrated hens, etc.

Sounds like you have it figured out!

Back
Top Bottom