Too many Roosters...

BCR 2023

Chirping
Aug 5, 2023
Hello,
I began my first flock ever so excited to be getting 8 easter egger hens. However we ended up with 4 hens and 4 roosters...so we got rid of 2 roosters thinking with the 2 we had left being 1 was very dominate but the other seemed to protect the girls. So now about 2 weeks later the dominant one became aggressive trying to own all my girls that didn't want anything to do with him now the other is following behavior. Also since we had so many roosters we got 6 hens from tractor supply which my roosters don't seem to care they are only about 8 weeks old.... atm I separated the 2 roosters that are about 5 months oldand I'm hoping my hens will go to bed and calm down. (As they have refused the last 2 nights to go in and deal with the roosters. But should I get rid of the roosters or keep them in the separated pen I had created for the new chicks until they were ready to be Integrated?

Hello and Welcome to BYC! Glad that you joined our community. Try then to keep just one and one in a solitary confinement coop of his own for a little while. At least until you can rehome him. If the girls like the other rooster keep him. If not maybe dumplings are in order. Unless you need a protective rooster free ranging or are wanting to hatch eggs you don't need a rooster to keep hens happy. I love good roosters and eat the bad ones. If one of your girls goes broody and you want to let her be a mama then you can often buy local hatching eggs. From what I have read and been taught disease does not transmit through eggs that hatch.

Last edited:
Hello and Welcome to BYC! Glad that you joined our community. Try then to keep just one and one in a solitary confinement coop of his own for a little while. At least until you can rehome him. If the girls like the other rooster keep him. If not maybe dumplings are in order. Unless you need a protective rooster free ranging or are wanting to hatch eggs you don't need a rooster to keep hens happy. I love good roosters and eat the bad ones. If one of your girls goes broody and you want to let her be a mama then you can often buy local hatching eggs. From what I have read and been taught disease does not transmit through eggs that hatch.
Thank you. I thought chickens would be easy to raise🤣

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Hens are definitely easy to keep, throw roosters in the mix and it can become complicated. Never keep an aggressive rooster, they can flog and hurt you, and do great damage to children. I would rehome them both, roosters do little to keep flocks safe from predators other than sound an alarm. Hens don't need a rooster to lay, I'd just keep your hens and find homes for the boys.

Back
Top Bottom