Too many roosters?

newbie_chick

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 16, 2009
Hello all,
We're really new at this and we are early on the learning curve. We came home with 6 chicks from a mixed box...turns out we have 4 roosters and 2 hens. We were hoping for the other way around. Couple questions...
They are displaying some mildly aggressive behavior toward each other - fluffing out their neck feathers at each other. Is this normal?
Can 4 roosters co-exist somewhat peacefully or are we going to have to proactively keep them apart?
Exactly how much do you think our neighbors are going to freak out when they start cock-a-doodle-doing??

Thanks for any help you can give me!

I have no Idea the reaction of your neighbors ...lol:lol:

But I'm new at this as well, and I believe your hens will be oversexed and the roos may not get along well.

One .. is what I would keep.
sad.png

I have had several roosters at a time, and they do fight but nothing too bad. Usually one will be more dominant and the others will sort of hang back, and the dominant one will chase them but they don't fight to the point of injuring each other. The neck fluffing is a normal part of it.

But with that many roosters, you probably need more hens. Otherwise they will jump on the hens all the time and their feathers on their back will start to come out, poor girls!!

Back
Top Bottom