Too Mean for the Flock?

I have four Marans - only one mean one. One has a very crooked tale though - or maybe the meanie has pulled some feathers out. Still - there are others who are quiet and docile. I shall keep researching - the sex link idea sounds like a very interesting way to go. I also wanted to try some other heritage breeds for the meat - I’m just experimenting right now. But I am definitely having fun with them.
Oh good! And I mean the Marans are dual purpose as well, so if you were to ever add cuckoo Marans hens to your flock, you could make Marans that would be sex linked as well. Keep the layers, eat the boys. ;)

Always solve for peace in the flock. Take him out and watch the rest. Do a head count. Thing is, some birds can take a bit of over crowding, and some birds cannot at all. IMO roosters take more room than chickens.

What are the measurements of your bachelor pad. Thing is, they are growing very fast, and what was enough room a little while ago, may not be enough room now.

Mrs K

Always solve for peace in the flock. Take him out and watch the rest. Do a head count. Thing is, some birds can take a bit of over crowding, and some birds cannot at all. IMO roosters take more room than chickens.

What are the measurements of your bachelor pad. Thing is, they are growing very fast, and what was enough room a little while ago, may not be enough room now.

Mrs K
I have a 160 foot perimeter fence (electric netting). I move it around. The coop is 8 x 6 - open air - no bottom. I have 4 roosts (4 feet each) and two more that are 8 feet long. I have two large waterers and a very large feeder plus they get a separate mash. They have two small sand boxes for dust baths. I was going to set up the mixed flock in a separate enclosure.

I was going to set up the mixed flock in a separate enclosure.
Not quite sure what you mean by the mixed flock? It certainly sounds like enough space.
Which can just go to prove that space is just part of the equation. A lot depends on the birds you have.

While many people toot the bachelor pad as a solves all, that is really not exactly the case. Some bachelor pads work well, some work well for a while, and some will have a bird or birds that just won't work out. There just is not a blue print for roosters, that will work 100% of the time.

MRs K

Back
Top Bottom