Too Mean for the Flock?

GreenHaven

Chirping
Apr 17, 2023
Pacific Northwest
I have a separate rooster flock. Some will be kept to breed, but most will be eaten when they are older. I have 14, and they are 10 weeks old. There is one rooster (the top of the pecking order) who seems pretty mean. However, I’m a newbie, and not quite sure what I should expect. But he chases and pins the heads of some of his flock mates. Frequently, it seems like he is totally unprovoked when he does this. His flock mates let him have the food or the sand bath whenever he walks up. Still - he seems to go after some of them even when they are leaving. He does not bother me - doesn’t peck me or anything - in fact he won’t let me near him. The other flock mates are pretty chill and friendly. But I am now seeing some of the other Roos behaving like this and I’m wondering what to do. Advice?

My advice would be to get rid of him. He's gonna put all the other chickens on edge and, as you said, the others will start mirroring his behaviour. Not to mention that the hens will probably start hating him at some point.

You mentioned you have 14. What breeds are they? What breed is he? What are your specific breeding plans?

As a fellow newb, I don't have any real rooster experience, but I think it would be very difficult for me to justify keeping a bully in my breeding plan.

The bully is a black copper Marian. The others are Buckeyes and Easter Eggers. The Maran really picks on the Buckeyes. I was thinking Eggs from Marans and Easter Eggers. Buckeyes were for meat - I was planning to keep the best Roos for breeding - so I guess I should remove the unpleasant Maran. I didn’t want to rush it and not give him a chance, but I don’t want the other birds getting too stressed. I wasn’t expecting a Maran to be so aggressive. They are not friendly - but the other’s are chill. The Easter Eggers are friendly, chatty, and charming and the Buckeyes are amusing and docile. Except for the one that is a runt. He’s overactive, beyond curious and follows me around. He’s pretty funny.

The bully is a black copper Marian. The others are Buckeyes and Easter Eggers. The Maran really picks on the Buckeyes. I was thinking Eggs from Marans and Easter Eggers. Buckeyes were for meat - I was planning to keep the best Roos for breeding - so I guess I should remove the unpleasant Maran. I didn’t want to rush it and not give him a chance, but I don’t want the other birds getting too stressed. I wasn’t expecting a Maran to be so aggressive. They are not friendly - but the other’s are chill. The Easter Eggers are friendly, chatty, and charming and the Buckeyes are amusing and docile. Except for the one that is a runt. He’s overactive, beyond curious and follows me around. He’s pretty funny.
Oh that is interesting! That's too bad you wouldn't be able to breed more Marans or olive eggers then, but it sounds like you still have plenty to choose from! Buckeyes for meat, and any of the Easter Eggers will give you more layers. You can always try again if you really want to be able to breed a Marans.

That is good to know because I have been considering Buckeyes for meat as well, once we have the space for that, and I am one who would not want to have to handle difficult roosters for the sake of my meat flock. I am also interested in Dominiques for that, and they are supposed to be nice birds, with light colored feathers.

There's also ways to do sex links with a nice red rooster (like your Buckeyes) over a white / silver hen (Delawares, White Rocks, Columbian Wyandottes, Silver Laced Wyandottes, Light Sussex etc etc etc), that way you can tell at hatch your layers from your meat cockerels, because the males will be white, and the layers will be ruddy.

I have not quite gotten that far in my chickening to try any of it out yet, but there is lots of research out there, and people here on BYC who are already doing that sort of thing, if you're interested.

Some personality traits are hereditary. Even if you only kept him for breeding occasionally and didn't' keep him with the hens full time, there's a good chance his daughters would be bullies as well. I wouldn't keep him for that reason alone.

Oh that is interesting! That's too bad you wouldn't be able to breed more Marans or olive eggers then, but it sounds like you still have plenty to choose from! Buckeyes for meat, and any of the Easter Eggers will give you more layers. You can always try again if you really want to be able to breed a Marans.

That is good to know because I have been considering Buckeyes for meat as well, once we have the space for that, and I am one who would not want to have to handle difficult roosters for the sake of my meat flock. I am also interested in Dominiques for that, and they are supposed to be nice birds, with light colored feathers.

There's also ways to do sex links with a nice red rooster (like your Buckeyes) over a white / silver hen (Delawares, White Rocks, Columbian Wyandottes, Silver Laced Wyandottes, Light Sussex etc etc etc), that way you can tell at hatch your layers from your meat cockerels, because the males will be white, and the layers will be ruddy.

I have not quite gotten that far in my chickening to try any of it out yet, but there is lots of research out there, and people here on BYC who are already doing that sort of thing, if you're interested.
I have four Marans - only one mean one. One has a very crooked tale though - or maybe the meanie has pulled some feathers out. Still - there are others who are quiet and docile. I shall keep researching - the sex link idea sounds like a very interesting way to go. I also wanted to try some other heritage breeds for the meat - I’m just experimenting right now. But I am definitely having fun with them.

Back
Top Bottom