Boosting A Rooster's Confidence?

Dec 1, 2023
Coweta County, Georgia
Hello BYC!

There is a behavioral issue with my two roosters. To put it simple, one rooster is much more authoritative than the other.

It started with our three roosters Dom, Jade, and Little Red. Jade was “The Man of the House”, but we culled him after he became increasingly more aggressive to me and my family. Little Red and Jade never had issues with one another, but rather teamed up against Dom. Dom has always been rather quiet and submissive, and struggles to make a move to possibly boost his standing in the flock. Anytime that he attempts to mate, Little Red is there, ready to fight him off of the hen. Little Red goes so far as to keep him away from the chickens and feeder, attacking him if he makes any attempt.

Why is Dom lacking in authority? What makes Little Red entitled to the ladies and food? Am I just misunderstanding roosters in the pecking order? Can it be fixed?

Attachment 1: Little Red and his ducky friends.

Attachment 2: Dom chilling out in the roost.

Thanks so much,
~Jacob

Attachments

• 5AD981E7-32CE-447E-9AEA-A0C211EA4D17.jpeg
    5AD981E7-32CE-447E-9AEA-A0C211EA4D17.jpeg
    961.8 KB · Views: 38
  • A87FFE77-CED3-4175-8D95-2C9B17A83DBF.jpeg
    A87FFE77-CED3-4175-8D95-2C9B17A83DBF.jpeg
    454 KB · Views: 11
Why is Dom lacking in authority? What makes Little Red entitled to the ladies and food? Am I just misunderstanding roosters in the pecking order? Can it be fixed?
All things described in your post sound natural.

Add another feeder (and/or some line of sight blocks) and it *may* still work itself out.

Since you removed the Apex boy.. One of them has to step up and the other take the submissive roll.. they can't both be king of the hill but they can co-exist and even eventually cooperate again.

There will be some fighting to work it out. One key is not intervening too soon. Some boys have good fights (it may get bloody and eyes may be swollen) and then go to roost together at night. The fact that he IS trying to mate means he has a degree of confidence that you underestimate. The other rooster knows and senses what you cannot.

Some roosters will not tolerate another's presence.. It's all about individual personalities.. set up may or may not help.

How many ladies? What's the feeder look like? What is their age?

Last edited:
It's survival of the fittest in action. Roosters have one main mission in life, and that is to pass on their genes to the next generation. Your stronger rooster is actively preventing the weaker one from doing that, which is normal. Sometimes roosters will form a team and divvy up the spoils, but that's not happening here. Lack of space could be a factor in why the strong rooster is being so aggressive and trying to prevent the other from feeding. And as stated above, the number of hens is a big factor, too. If there are only a few hens then my advice is to pick one rooster and sell the other. Ongoing stress in the flock can cause big problems.

All things described in your post sound natural.

Add another feeder (and/or some line of sight blocks) and it *may* still work itself out.

Since you removed the Apex boy.. One of them has to step up and the other take the submissive roll.. they can't both be king of the hill but they can co-exist and even eventually cooperate again.

There will be some fighting to work it out. One key is not intervening too soon. Some boys have good fights (it may get bloody and eyes may be swollen) and then go to roost together at night. The fact that he IS trying to mate means he has a degree of confidence that you underestimate. The other rooster knows and senses what you cannot.

Some roosters will not tolerate another's presence.. It's all about individual personalities.. set up may or may not help.

How many ladies? What's the feeder look like? What is their age?
After some hawk attacks, we’re down to 5 girls for these two roosters, but we’re trying to rebuild asap and I have some eggs in the way. We are using somewhat of a bucket feeder, I’ll add an attachment. The Roos are coming up on the year-old mark. Thanks so much for your advice and help.

Back
Top Bottom