KloekieKapokkie

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2019
South Africa
Hello!
I have a single bantam rooster. I've had him for 5 years. He was originally with 2 other hens who passed away unfortunately. The last hen passed away about 3 weeks ago.
I was scared that my rooster would become lonely, he had started roaming a lot less and eating less.
To hopefully solve this, we got two 5 month old hens as company for him. We got them 6 days ago. We tried to slowly introduce them, but my rooster kept pecking them.
We kept them separated, but they could still see each other if they stand at the right places. The thing is, my rooster didn't move much so he never saw them. Because of this, I occasionally took him to them to meet them, but every time, he'd peck them. It's not as bad as it was in the beginning anymore, because back then he'd start running towards them from a distance, now he just slowly walks closer to them, then if he's close enough, he goes for the peck.
But because of his pecking, the hens are now scared of him. They run around him if he is there and avoid him.
Today I let them walk around outside where my rooster is for the first time, and they seem a little more brave toward him but I think that's because I tried to prevent him from pecking them as much as I can on the days leading to today.

He slowly walked towards them again and pecked again etc. He doesn't go to them if he doesn't see them, then he just stands under a bush and does nothing. If he does see them though, he walks slowly to them again, but they usually move away before he gets halfway then he's back standing under the bush.

I want to know what I can do to help them get closer? Or is this just a waiting game, and they will eventually start eating together? I'm scared they'll never get along and then my rooster will just forever stand still under the bush and not eat. I need to go to him and give him food to get him to maybe eat. When the other chickens are near he roams more and eats more which is really good, but it's not enough since they just go away from him. He's definitely interested in them, but they are not interested in him at all.

Also, on another note, my rooster has watery poop. Could this be because he doesn't eat a lot? I noticed he does drink a lot of water, and the time I got him to eat a bit more he's poop would be a little more firm, but still goo-ey. Or could this be an illness? I went to a shop that sells chicken stuff 2 days ago and the lady there told me to give him oxytet in his water. I did this, and he's been drinking it. He's poo is still runny though, but it might take some time to work? We also got apple cider vinegar to put in their water, but we haven't used it yet since we're waiting until we're done with the oxytet.

Sorry about this long post, I'm trying to figure everything out really quickly because I'm going back to my university this Saturday and I'll be gone for a while, then only my parents will be looking after them. They don't really know what to do and don't pick up on the things I do with the chickens as easily, so if I can figure everything out now, it would be great so they don't have to worry too much.

I'm not sure if they need to be separated for longer, since they are basically still separated while they are roaming around where my rooster is. Also, letting them walk around outside makes it possible for my rooster to climb into his coop to roost. Before, the new chickens kinda occupied that space and he couldn't get past the gate to sleep, so I had to go catch him every night to help him get inside. My parents really struggle with catching him.

At 5 months old, are your new pullets laying? If not, they are of no interest to a grieving rooster that is missing his life companions.

You could feed him some scrambled eggs to entice him to eat.

It will take some weeks for them to form a proper little flock and this will only happen when the pullets begin to lay and will be ready to mate with him.

Last edited:
At 5 months old, are your new pullets laying? If not, they are of no interest to a grieving rooster that is missing his life companions.

You could feed him some scrambled eggs to entice him to eat.

It will take some weeks for them to form a proper little flock and this will only happen when the pellets begin to lay and will be ready to mate with him.
Okay, thank you!!
I did google and saw something about the egg laying part too. They haven't started laying yet. 😊
I did get him to move a bit more today and eat more by making him walk to me for yummy snacks that he likes. Then I later saw him eating seed too, which is what I want him to eat, since I can't constantly be outisde giving him snacks.
I hope everything works out, it hurts my heart seeing him standing alone, but he's definitely doing a bit better than he did before we got the new chickens.

Back
Top Bottom