Two roosters...

Beccichka

Chirping
Feb 22, 2023
This is our first flock, 19 weeks old: 5 Reds, 5 Buffs, 4 Barreds, 1 Americauna and 2 Americauna roosters
Which rooster to keep:
Rooster 1 is a bit bigger, quieter and doesn't seem overly interested in the girls. However, when the other rooster tries or successfully mates with a girl, he runs over and tries to interrupt.
Rooster 2 is our favorite coloration. He crows a ton! He starts at 4:30 in the morning and crows a lot throughout the day and evening. He is very actively pursuing the girls. He chases them frequently and is rather successful in mating with them. He's kind of obnoxious in that way.
Neither rooster has been aggressive towards us. I think since they are small, they mostly run away from us. Rooster 1 let my son barely pet him the other day. Rooster 2 we couldn't catch to put in the coop the other night and so we left him in the completely fenced (top and bottom) yard.
I am assuming that activity level is not a indication of mating success and reproduction. But I would think that the rooster that is more actively trying to mate, would be more successful in eventually giving us chicks. But on the flip side, he has the more annoying, loud and obnoxious behaviors. If we remove him, might Rooster 1 step up his game? Also, should the roosters be removed from the girls at this point? I'm thinking it will make him crow more if he can't get at them.
Thoughts?

I suspect that Rooster #1 is just slower developing. I've butchered many times when they are 16-18 weeks old, and am amazed at how cockerels of the same age, same breed, have different sized testicles. They do grow at different rates; it's just an individual thing.

I suspect that Rooster #1 will step up his game when he doesn't have competition. I doubt removing one will make that one crow more; in fact, it might be the opposite, as the rooster with hens will crow to assert his dominance and announce to the world that HE is King. If #2 is the faster developing boy, then he'd be the louder one for now. It would also explain why he's breeding more, and #1 is just testing the waters. Doesn't make one or the other better, just different rates.

They are now at the age that they will start to show aggression, if any. Try walking 'through' each of them, and see how they react. A "good" rooster (in terms of non-aggression) will quickly get out of your way and avoid you. One who might become a bully might move aside, but he'll eye you.

A "good" rooster also pays more attention to predator threats and alerts the flock. I wonder if you sneakily place a rubber snake in their pen, which one will find it first, call the alarm, or even attack it. Worth a try, maybe?

A "good" rooster will cluck to alert hens to treats that he's found, calling them over to him. That one's easy. Watch and listen to them when you put a few treats in the pen - mealworms come to mind. Don't broadcast the treats, put them in one or two spots and see what happens.

I haven't tried the above suggestions, but I think they're worth a try. I'd isolate one of the boys to test the other one alone, several times, then switch - and do it over the course of a month or two. I think it might help me, or you, decide which one to keep.

I suspect that Rooster #1 is just slower developing. I've butchered many times when they are 16-18 weeks old, and am amazed at how cockerels of the same age, same breed, have different sized testicles. They do grow at different rates; it's just an individual thing.

I suspect that Rooster #1 will step up his game when he doesn't have competition. I doubt removing one will make that one crow more; in fact, it might be the opposite, as the rooster with hens will crow to assert his dominance and announce to the world that HE is King. If #2 is the faster developing boy, then he'd be the louder one for now. It would also explain why he's breeding more, and #1 is just testing the waters. Doesn't make one or the other better, just different rates.

They are now at the age that they will start to show aggression, if any. Try walking 'through' each of them, and see how they react. A "good" rooster (in terms of non-aggression) will quickly get out of your way and avoid you. One who might become a bully might move aside, but he'll eye you.

A "good" rooster also pays more attention to predator threats and alerts the flock. I wonder if you sneakily place a rubber snake in their pen, which one will find it first, call the alarm, or even attack it. Worth a try, maybe?

A "good" rooster will cluck to alert hens to treats that he's found, calling them over to him. That one's easy. Watch and listen to them when you put a few treats in the pen - mealworms come to mind. Don't broadcast the treats, put them in one or two spots and see what happens.

I haven't tried the above suggestions, but I think they're worth a try. I'd isolate one of the boys to test the other one alone, several times, then switch - and do it over the course of a month or two. I think it might help me, or you, decide which one to keep.
Great info! Thank you. The other evening we saw the louder one get a cricket and alert the girls.

What signs show they may prefer him?
They will seek his company and will be comfortable around him.
He will call them to feed them any "goodies" he may find and they will respond running to him.

He will break up quarrels among the pullets/hens and lead the aggressor away from the scene thus giving the victim time to recover.

They may even run to him for protection when the other cockerel is harrassing them with his overly hormonal mating attempts.

He will show them where to lay and sometimes even prepare the nestboxes for them.

Back
Top Bottom