Hens rejecting rooster

Chey1214

Songster
May 4, 2023
As stated, my hens are rejecting my rooster! I think when he tries to mate them they flip him and step on his back….ugh

Attachments

• FD4E8F2D-490E-4DA7-9EAD-2E671E7457BD.jpeg
    FD4E8F2D-490E-4DA7-9EAD-2E671E7457BD.jpeg
    432.7 KB · Views: 39
Rooster is 7 months hens are almost a year they grew up together…..
In this case, you've got a bunch of pullets (almost hens, will be at one year) and a cockerel. I'm guessing he is a bit slow to mature (small side of combs and wattles although I'm not an expert on his breed(s) standards), plus they have a bit of age on him and may have kept him low in rank growing up due to the difference. Especially if he's getting dealt an uno reverse card each time he tries to mate. That may slow his maturation even more.

I'm not an expert but just my .02... I'd either put him in look but don't touch mode, to gain confidence and eliminate bullying, or separate him entirely for a short period so his hormones get a chance to kick in without any possible interference. Cockerels seem to bloom really quickly once competition is eliminated, even if it is a dominant female keeping him in check.

I am not so sure. I have had roosters, but only one they did not like. Is he off by himself? Do they kind of leave him? I had a rooster, raised up in the flock, and to be honest, he was so slow to mature - that at first I thought he was a hen, and I have had chickens for decades.

They just didn't like him, but we liked him fine up in the big house after a bath of hot water and carrots and onions.

If they don't like him, I would cull and try again. They should be in love with the rooster.

Mrs K

I am not so sure. I have had roosters, but only one they did not like. Is he off by himself? Do they kind of leave him? I had a rooster, raised up in the flock, and to be honest, he was so slow to mature - that at first I thought he was a hen, and I have had chickens for decades.

They just didn't like him, but we liked him fine up in the big house after a bath of hot water and carrots and onions.

If they don't like him, I would cull and try again. They should be in love with the rooster.

Mrs K
His fibro Easter egger girlfriend died it was sad so he’s on his own. So yes he’s awkward and trying hard to make friends it’s sad to watch but no one is mean to eachother. My mama hen is still mounting other hens so she still has dominance.

Rooster is 7 months hens are almost a year they grew up together…..
Cockerels mature at different rates. Until they reach a certain point of maturity they can be bullied or ignored by the girls, especially with older girls like yours. The girls' personality plays a part in this too. Some girls seem to like anything in spurs where some can have a strong desire to be in charge. It can be very interesting to watch how the different personalities work together.

I've had a cockerel that could dominate a flock with mature hens in it at five months of age. Those hens were pretty mellow. Most of my cockerels can take over a flock at around 7 months but I had one that took 11 months. That head hen had a very strong personality. In extreme situations like that the takeover can be pretty vicious but usually it is pretty seamless, no real drama.

Your situation doesn't sound bad at all. If no one is getting hurt I just leave them alone to work it out. If one does become injured I might separate them for a few weeks and then try again or I might permanently remove one of them from the flock.

As stated, my hens are rejecting my rooster! I think when he tries to mate them they flip him and step on his back….ugh
I have watched pullets and hens in my flocks drop-kick, jump on, pull feathers, grab beaks and hold on until a cockerel flees. They may keep getting beat up for awhile, but they’re usually fine having places to escape to. I monitor the situation and normally see that a cockerel WILL find his place. It’ll take awhile for yours to be accepted. Just wait until he’s fully grown. 😉🙂 Look but no touch (if he’s getting a severe whooping) isn’t a bad idea for awhile too. I WILL remove mine from the situation IF I see that they’re getting constantly attacked. Then, I monitor as I integrate. I wish your boy well. By the way, he’s a beautiful cockerel. ❤️

Back
Top Bottom