merging together 2 breeding pens with roosters...help

Mk_lanch

Songster
6 Years
Sep 20, 2017
I have 2 serama breeding pens.
1 pen consists of 5 hens and 1 rooster and the other one has 8 hens and 2 roosters.
both pens have been next to each other for 4 months so they have already got used to each other and no longer fight between the fence.
i would like to merge the 2 pens into one large pen. but i'm not sure how to do this and if this would work considering there are already roosters in both pens.
does any one have any tips?
has anyone else done this successfully?

You might have luck on your side that they have gotten used to each other through the fencing. You won't know until you try. Age of the roosters sometimes matter, as does the temperament of the rooster.

I've successfully integrated roosters into a flock with another rooster, and I've had unsuccessful integrations. But your chances are much better since they have been interacting for 4 months. There will still be an establishment of pecking order of who is boss, but hopefully they will sort it out without blood drawn.

You might have luck on your side that they have gotten used to each other through the fencing. You won't know until you try. Age of the roosters sometimes matter, as does the temperament of the rooster.

I've successfully integrated roosters into a flock with another rooster, and I've had unsuccessful integrations. But your chances are much better since they have been interacting for 4 months. There will still be an establishment of pecking order of who is boss, but hopefully they will sort it out without blood drawn.

if the weather is nice on the weekend i will try to integrate the 2 groups. but i will be watching very closely

Back
Top Bottom