Introducing new hens to my flock

Good info above 👆. I'm sorry I'm off topic from your original question but is the chicken in the cage in your first picture one you were trying to integrate? I can't see it the best but it looks to have a larger comb and wattles and thick legs for being 11 weeks old. Maybe male-specific feathers coming in, too. Could it possibly be a cockerel? :oops:
If your talking about the white one that's my rooster, one of 2 already full grown. I have 5 that are 11 weeks and 3 are looking more like roosters every day...chicken math has not been in my favor. I hatched them hoping for more 🤷‍♀️ OH well

So only the rooster free ranges? The 2 hens stay in the 6x12 area? The adult coop is inside the kennel correct?

You're a wee bit snug on space for integration, but might still be able to make it work as it is. You will need to get creative with clutter in the "run" (I'll refer to it as a run since it's functioning as such - might want to consider rearranging everything in there to disorient the existing birds a bit, so they're distracted and it makes it easier to ignore the new additions.

Or if you're okay with letting the older birds out for a few hours, let all of them out and put the new birds in the run during that time, so they can explore it and get used to the space without harassment from the older birds. Do that daily if possible for maybe a week or two, and then try having them all in the run together while you supervise.
Thank you I like that last idea alot and I have been wanting to let them out more. Since they already have a place where the go to roost I the pen will they return to it at night?

Thank you I like that last idea alot and I have been wanting to let them out more. Since they already have a place where the go to roost I the pen will they return to it at night?
How long have you had the adults? Their whole lives? If so, they'll know to return home at night, or you can lure them in with treats.

Since you mentioned letting the rooster out sometimes, does he go up in the trees? Does he come home reliably? They'll most likely follow him where he goes.
The dominant one doesn't go up in the trees he actually never gets far from the pen because the hens are in it. The non dominant rooster wanders farther away.

Back
Top Bottom