Mattie15

In the Brooder
Aug 11, 2023
Burbank, Alabama
My rooster Andy is a big sweetheart. He was 'not to often' with his ladies when it came to topping them. There were no injuries or feather issues. Well, then I had to move back in with my dad. He has a pen with a rooster and hens, and then a separate but connected pen for a pair of game chickens that I had bought a while back. My pen is about 8 feet from his, but Andy and my dads rooster can see each other through the wire. I noticed my ladies were getting roughed up on their backs, with one hen having a small raw spot. She's one of my main layers and is apparently one of Andy's favorites. (Big guys gonna go in time out. -_-)

I had no problem with Andy overbreeding his girls, but now I see it's slowly becoming a problem after moving to my dads. I'm pretty sure it's being caused by 'neighbor rooster competition', which is making Andy show dominance to the other rooster by topping his hens more- Leading to them getting roughed up on the back too much.

Any ideas of what to do? I don't trust chicken saddles because I can't supervise them all the time and they have items of 'tangle-risk' in their run when it comes to the wing straps. Should I board up the one side so Andy doesn't see the other rooster? Thoughts are appreciated.

(Also, I know the yard is messy. It's a work in progress now that I'm living there.)

Attachments

• 20240224_161520.jpg
    20240224_161520.jpg
    798.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 20240224_161139.jpg
    20240224_161139.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 15
I am borrowing a rooster, I would love for him to mate them, but he has been with my hens for 2 days, I don't know if he even had one encounter. I hear him bragging all day long. I do have a hen that seems to really like him though..
fem.PNG

The blue Maran seems the most interested. She runs off the other hens.

I would board for the view, but the sound of crowing will still be there. Roosters can be competitive and love to display their dominance. I have not noticed a extra mounting due to a inferior rooster, but I've never been taking notes as my roosters were always around.

How old is he and how old was he when you moved? How old is your hens? I've seen the amount of eggs being laid be the reason behind over mounting: The 'favorites' are often the best egg layers in the flock and sometimes the top of the pecking orders.

On the issues of saddles, the right saddle shouldn't be an issue. A saddle made of canvas or jean is typically heavy enough not to flip up. (Most saddles you can buy online is made of this material. Hen Saver is a good brand.)

He's close to a year. The hens are a tad older than him. Maybe by only a few days, lol. I bought them from a neighbor. I had the guess that he was coming into his actual adult stage.

I am borrowing a rooster, I would love for him to mate them, but he has been with my hens for 2 days, I don't know if he even had one encounter. I hear him bragging all day long. I do have a hen that seems to really like him though..
.View attachment 3765368
The blue Maran seems the most interested. She runs off the other hens.
He's probably just getting to know them first. New area. 😂

If you do not trust chicken saddles, then the best option in my opinion would be to separate Andy. Over-breeding is a large stressor for chickens and when chickens are constantly stressed then their health can decline rapidly. It is better for Andy to not be with hens for the wellbeing of the females.

The 'favorites' are often the best egg layers in the flock and sometimes the top of the pecking orders.
The favorites are often the top egg producers, but I have to disagree with you on the pecking order part. Males actually prefer females that are lower on the pecking order because they are submissive and therefore easier to mount and breed. Sick and injured females also seem to be a main target because they are vulnerable and will not try to run away.

If you do not trust chicken saddles, then the best option in my opinion would be to separate Andy. Over-breeding is a large stressor for chickens and when chickens are constantly stressed then their health can decline rapidly. It is better for Andy to not be with hens for the wellbeing of the females.
I went to feed them this morning, and it appears to be healing. It wasn't red pink like it was a few days ago. I'll give it this weekend and see what needs to be done.

Back
Top Bottom