Need help with options for over eager rooster

Mhudson24

Hatching
Feb 8, 2024
We have 2 roosters. One small and one large one. Both the same age. We have 10 hens all about the same age as well. In November my big rooster got ahold of one hen and when trying to mate with her bit her neck too hard and broke skin. When we noticed it had been a couple days and the other chickens had pecked a pretty good gash in her neck. I quarantined her for about a month until she had no more scabs or open wounds. It’s been about another month since I let her back with the rest of the flock and I just quarantined her again because she’s lost quite a few feathers on her neck ( assuming from rooster) and had a small peck mark that was bloody and I didn’t want to see the same result we had a few months ago. I have another hen in quarantine currently also due to the same issue. Two other hens are getting bare backs from being over bred. I have tried to find another home for one of the roosters but haven’t had any takers. My question is what do I do now? I have read that if we get rid of one rooster ( preferably the smaller one since he would likely be less protective) the bigger rooster might calm down. All chickens are under a year old and I’ve also read big rooster might just be an over eager teen but when will he calm down? I hate to resort to sending big rooster to chicken heaven but at this point he’s doing more harm than good. I need help and opinions. I care greatly for my chickens and want to see them all thrive but I now have 4 hens injured due to the big rooster and it’s making me dislike him.

:welcome Realistically you are dealing with pullets and cockerels. Neither are fully mature. I would remove both cockerels from the flock until the pullets mature more and the teenaged males settle down a bit. How large/heavy is the larger male, and what breed are the pullets?

:welcome Realistically you are dealing with pullets and cockerels. Neither are fully mature. I would remove both cockerels from the flock until the pullets mature more and the teenaged males settle down a bit. How large/heavy is the larger male, and what breed are the pullets?
The small rooster is completely unknown breed. We got him as a freebie with a shipment of meat chickens but he isn’t a meat chicken. It’s small but I believe fully grown. Mostly white with black spots. Big rooster is a mixed breed. Some hens are barred Plymouth Rock, some Wyandotte, 3 buff Orpington.

Back
Top Bottom