Too much air? Not enough air?

you could always build small awnings over the window opening to keep driving rain from coming in a soaking your bedding material. i really dont see why it would be so difficult, just follow the roof line and extend it out maybe 2-3 feet. a couple of 2x4 and maybe 2 sheets of ply and a bundle of shingles.

plus when its raining and your going in and out of the coop it will help keep you dry while you get the door open.

dual purpose

I see that you are from Oregon. I lived in Eugene for a while. All of the weather you get is what I would consider mild to warm. We've allready had a week in the mid '90's and in the winter usually have one spell near zero.
I am getting the impression though that novices like me underestimate the cold tolerance of chickens.
My biggest concern is the combination of heat and rain right now. I need to work out a way to weatherproof my peak windows without covering them. It's the most complicated engineering issue Ive had with this coop. I've got storms through Monday, then some breathing room. So far the coop actually smells pleasant.

You could build a couple of simple wood louvers to go over the windows, that would help. But really, you don't have to do anything. After the rain passes, if you have good ventilation, the coop will dry out fine. Look at my coop below, the front is WIDE open year round. I can get temps to zero around here sometimes in the winter, not including windchill, and the birds have absolutely no problem. The other windows are opened in the warmer months. Sometimes rain does blow in there a bit. But the coop drys out fast with no problem after the storms have passed. I do not run out there every time I see rain, or think it's going to rain and shut windows. They stay open all through the warmer months. If I were you, I would take those covers OFF the windows and let the coop breathe.
Jack

Last edited:
Southern Missouri is indeed a place where, unless there is an unforeseen new Ice Age, it will never be cold enough to worry about birds. Thus, it is also a place where the high heat and humidity of summer can be deadly. I'd be worrying far, far more about summer conditions and build for those extremes.

Unless it dips to -20F, most DP fowl never even seem to notice much. Heat and humidity? Those can kill.

I've seen vent covers at home improvement stores that might work. You could make a vent with slats at a 45 degree angle to cover the upper windows like the ones on the gables of houses.
Here's a pic of the ones on my house.

Back
Top Bottom