Too much chicken poop

bawk_bawk

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 18, 2010
School
Our neighbors are complaining that the smell issuing from the chicken poop is, well, crappy. Is there any sort of cleansing process/composting/etc that could help with that?

Regular cleaning. As in every few days. If they complain loud and long enough you could have a real problem come summer.

Compost the bedding and poop with plenty of green stuff and use food grade DE or Stall Dri to keep the moisture level down.

Have you tried 'deep litter'?

This works very well unless you are too crowded. My 6 have a 6x10 coop with dirt floor. I keep at least 6" of pine shavings on the floor. everyday. turn it over. add more when needed. every 6 months I shovel some out for the garden.

The girls do range in their yard during the day, but honestly, there is no smell. I think the biggest key is turning the shavings daily. very easy with a good rake.

They're complaining about the yard. We managed to get a lot of the poop to a gardener, but then he said that it would probably have to go to the dump.

Lime and DE and pine shavings are on the shopping list now. Thanks!

Collect it into steel 55 gal drums, & add water, & then syphon off the gas that it gives off, into an holding tank, you'll get yerself free USABLE energy...either for an LP stove, or an LP generator that could be used to heat your coop, & or house...google some schematics...Chickens are absoluty astounding renewable resource rich! Meat from the flesh of the bird, feathers for both insulation, & bedding, eggs to eat & to regenerate your flock with & solid waste that can be used as fertilzer for your garden & you can extract the methane from the solid waste, & you can turn 'round & get the necessary documents to start selling both meat & eggs, to supplement your income! Chickens are truly the gift that keeps on giving!

Back
Top Bottom