Too much greens?

WoofyGator

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 30, 2008
Richland, NJ
Just a curious question here. Is too much greens bad for my flock at all? I work in a produce warehouse and bring home lots of cabbage,kale, collards,endive etc... and my birds go nuts over them . Also a few days a week I let them free range and they eat grass and weeds like crazy. I am not concerned about egg production cause they are more pets then a food source.

Thanks,
WG

My babies have spinach on an almost daily basis. They get kinda nasty if they don't get it plus they free range daily. Other then an eye infection my chickens and ducks have been happy and healthy. I guess as long as they still get a well balanced diet they should be good.

If anyone has other advice please update me...I would love to know. Thanks

In a work No you can not over feed greens. The only exception would be ones that would flavor eggs or be harmfull to chicks. Onions and garlic and fish on the first second would be horse thistle. Mine free range and eat greens all day. Penned chickens do not have a choice on what to eat they only get what you give them. So varitey is the key and moderation.

Quote:
I agree completely.

OT -Tamara, how are you enjoying your Partridge Rocks? Do you have any photos you can share? I'm thinking of getting some of those next. Do you know whether they are as easy going as the Barred Rocks? We love our BRs; not so fond of the RIRS. The latter are less friendly, and one is even a bully.

But I can't resist the urge for "lawn ornaments;" i.e. different types of birds for aesthetic appeal. From the one photo of a PR I've seen, they are very attractive.

Thanks!

Katherine

I think things with oxalic acid might thin shells...maybe.
Chard, beet greens, spinach. Check out the treats list.
I think anything in the cruciferous family would be good because of the calcium.

Darn, that always happens. the 'Chart' part needs to be in blue too.
Go to the 'my byc page' go over to the left and click on other members pages, then look all the way over to the right, it is the top link.

Our hens cannot get enough of our chard patch in the garden. I'm afraid tonight's freeze will do in the patch and the hens will be SO disappointed when they free range tomorrow. Once they discovered the chard in the garden, it was no longer ours, but theirs. The same for the spinach and broccoli greens. I'm amazed at the hardness of the shells of eggs they lay, so I can only surmise that the chard causes them no problems...just based on our observation of our hens and their preferences of grazing:) If you were to ask them, they cluck that they can't get ENOUGH greens! Lucky you to have such an abundance to bring home. ~G

I had a beautiful patch of peppermint going and since I got my girls they have destroyed 3/4 of it. They love mint as soon as I let them free range they run / jump/ fly immediately to the mint. When people come visit and they want to interact with them I hand them a peppermint branch and the girls come over and give them a show. I hope I get some super healthy girls/eggs.

Back
Top Bottom