Too small to winter in?

Thank you everyone, I too feel that the tractor is too small- but on the bright side there usually isn't any significant snow here until mid to late December which gives me enough time to "regroup". My husband built a beautiful garden shed for me over the summer and is going to be none to thrilled with my new plan that is hatching as I type merrily along. I feel a move coming on!!!The shed is 8x8.
71453_hpim1250.jpg

Yep! That shed would be prefect! I would not try to winter those birds in that small tractor. You said you had 4 buffs. those are big birds and definitely need the recommended space of 4sq feet per bird. That means the foot print of your tractor should be at least 4' x 4' and in that picture it does not look anywhere near that size. Better be extra nice to the hubby tonight!

Ooooo, nice shed!
smile.png

Really, if he wouldn't let you use the *whole* shed <vbeg>, your 4 hens would do quite well if you just ran a table type thing along the back half of the shed or one side, so the chickens could be underneath (that would be their indoor coop, with the A-frame tractor moored to the shed as a run) and you could still put things on top for storage. That would give them something like 2x8, or 3x8, or 4x8, or 4x6, or whatever shape and size suited you best, as their indoor quarters -- and it'd be in the shed, so air quality would be much MUCH easier to manage than in the teensy little A-frame thing. Or if you prefer, put the chickens *atop* the table (same dimensions), and storage underneath. Whatever.

And then next year he can have some more fun exercising his (considerable) shed-building skills to build you a real coop -- or just turn this over to the chickens and build *himself* another real shed, LOL

GOod luck, have fun,

Pat

Ohhh. Sweet shed. That would make an outstanding chicken residence. AND, 8x8 is plenty big enough for lots more chickens. Let's see, 64 sq. feet divided by 4' per chicken. Wow. That's 16 chickens.

I have to say the same as Elmo above. I had one of my girls as a teen eaten by a racoon, right through the chicken wire. You need to have hardware cloth. Buffs, are very winter hardy. You can enclose the whole thing, and as long as they get in the coop part at night they will be fine till spring.

Quote:
Even better, promise him something better tonight after lights out..
wink.png
smile.png

That shed would be perfect, it even has a window that opens for added ventilation in the summer. Screen it with hardware cloth, add a front door, and chicken door, and Bob's your uncle. The tractor attached to it would make a nice small run, that you could eventually add on to.

Looks like your yard is big enough for another garden shed..
smile.png

Alright ,everything is all set . As you can see the chickens have a nice new coop, hubby has been very busy.
71453_hpim1263.jpg

I think they should like it much better although need to do something different in the spring because the floor is wood, gonna have to put down linoleum, and he needs to build actual nest boxes(more for the honey - do list).
71453_hpim1260.jpg
.Thanks everyone for the input it's very much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom