Too soon to quack?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 1duckychick, Jun 21, 2009.

1. 1duckychick

1duckychick Songster

Jun 18, 2009
    My runner is 2 weeks tomorrow and is female (or so the hatchery says - not that I could tell) and she has begun making a sort of honking sound. She still makes the high pitched peeps like the others but now there's an odd honking as well. From everything I've read ducks don't normally start the quacking process until 4 - 6 weeks. Is she just starting early or is this something else that could be a potential medical issue?

2. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Songster

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I think she's trying out her new "voice". Mine did the same thing. The first time my female quacked was when I picked her up. She let out this hard quack that scared me half to death! LOL

Laurie

3. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    female ducks can start "trying" the quack as early as ONE week old,

I have a 3 1/2 week old mallard/call mix that I hatched, she's had a "voice" since about a week old, not a peep, but kinda in the middle.

and now she's "quack" when she gets excited

sooo theres no set "quack time" when it comes to hens, but she SHOULDN'T actually START to quack until around 4-6 weeks.

ETA: I have another, older call/mallard and she is almost 8 weeks old, she sorta "honkpeeped" up until about last week, then she let out this loud "QAUCK" outta the blue, and ever since she NEVER shuts up LOL.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  4. 1duckychick

1duckychick Songster

Jun 18, 2009
    Thanks! Just wanted to make this was "normal" and not something I needed to worry about!

5. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    i could tell my females were so when they were 2 weeks old, they start that little "Whack" noise

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: