too soon?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SarahF, Apr 6, 2009.

1. SarahF

SarahF Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey everyone! Dh put our 2 week old chicks outside in the brooder (inside the coop) yesterday with the heat lamp and we just heard it's supposed to snow a bit this week and get down to -4...is it too soon for them to go out? I really didn't want the mess inside or the smell, but I want them to survive!

Let me know what you all think!!!

(there are 9 of them)
    ((i have a silkie who has been off and on broody for the last 4 weeks...should I put her in with them?))

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Wow, -4 is really cold for young chicks. Could you add a second heat lamp? Are there any drafts? I'd hesitate to leave them out, but there are probably things you could do to make them stay warmer. Still, minus 4 is very, very frigid for those young babies.

3. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    I have 4 five-week olds in the basement, and they really don't smell much! Even visitors are surprised that they don't smell--so it's not just mommy not noticing. Keep the brooder clean and dry and put them in the house till it warms up a bit!

4. SarahF

SarahF Chillin' With My Peeps

Dh made the brooder draft free and put some insullation (ceiling tiles) around for extra comfort. They seem to be doing great and the temps are going back up (only one night of below 0).

Thanks!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    I have had my chicks in an outside brooder since day olds...over a week now. We have had snowstorms all week and my shed is not insulated. The light is doing them fine. Don't sweat it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by