Too stupid to live

I love them too....but my guinea committed suicide banging its head against the coop door in order to get in with the other ones. Poor Guy.

They come from Africa and have to be skittish in order to not be food. If I lived somewhere warm, having a Vulturine Guineafowl would be so cool!

View attachment 3541513
Thanks for posting that pic- wow!! Who cares how stupid they are when they look this incredible, right? Haha.

Since I live in FL, I looked to see if I could get any of these Vulturine Guineas.

Murray McMurray Hatchery sells a juvenile pair for $1500. Adult pair is $1875. People must be paying it because they’re sold out for the season.

Thanks for posting that pic- wow!! Who cares how stupid they are when they look this incredible, right? Haha.

Since I live in FL, I looked to see if I could get any of these Vulturine Guineas.

Murray McMurray Hatchery sells a juvenile pair for $1500. Adult pair is $1875. People must be paying it because they’re sold out for the season.
It really isn't the season yet. Guineas normally start laying later so they won't have sexed juveniles or adults until closer to fall.

I see people always saying to sneak in new flock members at night or sneaking new little ones under a hen.

In a guinea flock every member of the flock knows every other member of the flock. They know immediately if someone has tried to sneak a new member in. It usually doesn't turn out well for the newcomer.
In this case, I had tried to slip some eggs under Willow that were ready to hatch, hoping she'd be content with them and get off of the defunct community nest that Numi had deserted after 5 weeks.
She finished brooding them, but started flinging them away them the second they popped out from under her.
They've now figured out, I think, that a community nest is a bad idea. Least wise, Numi packed her feathers and moved to the run, so the newbies are on their own.

In this case, I had tried to slip some eggs under Willow that were ready to hatch, hoping she'd be content with them and get off of the defunct community nest that Numi had deserted after 5 weeks.
She finished brooding them, but started flinging them away them the second they popped out from under her.
They've now figured out, I think, that a community nest is a bad idea. Least wise, Numi packed her feathers and moved to the run, so the newbies are on their own.
Eggs are one thing, live keets are a different story.

Back
Top Bottom