Too young?

Cheepingchick

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 20, 2011
Hi, My Sussex Julie is only 6/7 months old but she is already broody - she only just started laying eggs in the last month... I was wondering if she was to young for me to put some eggs under her - will she stay on them or will she become disinterested? If we had a rooster I wouldnt mind but since we dont I would have to order some fertilised eggs and I dont want to waste time and money if she wont stick to it - would rather get her some when she was a little older.....
hu.gif

It all depends on the hen, each one can be different. With any first time broody hen, I never put "important" eggs under them. If you have anyone local that has fertile eggs, I would try her with some of those. If not, you could let her sit a week or two on the unfertilized ones before you try to order any.Shipped eggs are a gamble in the start. I personally have had great success with my Sussex with being broody, staying broody, and being great mamas. If she is in a good spot and stays broody for at least a week, I think you have a good shot at her staying broody long enough to hatch a clutch of eggs.

Thanks for that. I will try with the non-fertile ones first and see how she goes. I already have a stack of chicks but I think it would be a little sad not to let her have her own brood!
jumpy.gif

It all depends on the hen, each one can be different. With any first time broody hen, I never put "important" eggs under them. If you have anyone local that has fertile eggs, I would try her with some of those. If not, you could let her sit a week or two on the unfertilized ones before you try to order any.Shipped eggs are a gamble in the start. I personally have had great success with my Sussex with being broody, staying broody, and being great mamas. If she is in a good spot and stays broody for at least a week, I think you have a good shot at her staying broody long enough to hatch a clutch of eggs.

X2

Back
Top Bottom