1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Took all Spring/Summer and the coop is finally done!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JerseyFresh, Nov 2, 2011.

1. JerseyFresh

JerseyFresh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Utah
    I finally got the chance to build a coop the way I wanted (the last one was an old shed I converted) and I figured I might as well make it nice.
    Many thanks to all the great examples I've seen here, I cherry-picked my favorites.

Specs:
    4x8 footprint
    12" overhang on side eaves that are open and covered with hardware cloth for ventilation (16 sq/ft total)
    2' overhang on front so I don't get rain down my back when peeping in on them
    Nesting boxes accessed on the outside
    Feeder is accessed on the outside and goes to trough on the inside
    6 windows covered in hardware cloth and hinged frames with plexiglass. Lots of light in the winter, extra ventilation in the summer.
    Pop door slides up on track
    Painted it the yellow with white trim just like the house we had to move from in New Jersey. Loved that house.
    Deep litter method used for bedding
    Will be installing a solar powered automatic pop door soon.

Run is appx 20'x40' and I extended the fence up to 8' with chicken wire. I suspect the EEs could fly over it if they really wanted but not my giant Wyandotte.
    I currently have 9 hens. 1 silver laced gold Wyandotte, 2 EEs, 1 EE/Marans, 2 blue Wyandottes, 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Black Sex Link, and 1 Barred Rock. Only 3 hens are laying so far.

[​IMG]

Okay, the window to the front door isn't attached, but I couldn't wait and the day was perfect for taking pictures [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  2. mshuey1

mshuey1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    San Antonio
    it looks great![​IMG]

3. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Very nice!

Your birds look happy

4. mtnhens4

mtnhens4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Western NC
    [​IMG] I think that you did a beautiful job, I'm sure you will have chickens. Your set-up is much like ours only it's 4 by 6 and our run is covered to keep ours safe from hawks and things that would climb a fence. Have fun.[​IMG]

5. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

huge CONGRATULATIONS for getting it all done!! It looks so nice! I love your colors! Those are the same colors I'm using on mine! I've been working on mine since July-- so 4 months so far-- so I know how it feels to have it go on and on forever! (still not done!!!) Anyway, it's beautiful and your chickens look really happy! BTW- that is a nice big space for them to run around in! So envious!! [​IMG]

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Great job!!!! Looks nice!

In the 4th picture, is that a little "hut" that I see on the left side of the pic that you have your feeder and waterer under? If so, that is a great idea. That is my next project.

7. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Great Job [​IMG]

8. JerseyFresh

JerseyFresh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Utah
    Quote:Yes it is.
    In NJ we had so many trees around that there was always plenty of shade for the girls. In Utah it's the exact opposite and that summer sun that beats down is relentless. I had the water under there so it wouldn't be like drinking hot coffee.

9. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    very nice! enjoy the fruits of your labor [​IMG]

10. captainroo2

captainroo2 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2011
    Very nice; got some good ideas:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by