Took your advice and made the big move

May 17, 2023
Well after thought and consideration and after asking for advice on here I moved my 5 week old babies out to the coop. They had been spending the days in the coop so acclimation has been easy. I also set up a little temporary run with wire until I get a roofed run off of omelet. Here they are having a blast. Thanks for all your help on here.

Attachments

• 20230522_144412.jpg
    20230522_144412.jpg
    900.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 20230522_144412.jpg
    20230522_144412.jpg
    900.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230522_144401.jpg
    20230522_144401.jpg
    945.9 KB · Views: 14
Okay guys update. It went terribly. The local black cat already found them. Luckily they were locked in the coop. I chased the cat off with my dog. I think I might take more drastic measures if I catch it again. Or might let my dog get it. However this is my biggest issue that I need help with. The babies weren't going up into the upper level to roost. So I got the idea to put them up there manually and shut the top door for the night then let them out for the day in the morning. Well I checked on them and the sight was so pitiful. They weren't cold because they were warm to the touch. But they were in a ball of feathers at the closed door as if to say let me out of here. They were almost scared it looked like and clearly stressed. What do I do? I took them into the brooder for the night and they calmed down immediately. Should I leave them out all night and hope they find there way into the top level. It got 49 last night. It will be 55 tonight.

Not lit at all. I have no lights in there. It's basically got whatever light is out at the time. So at sunset it's not lit really. And during the day some times they go up the ramp exploring but don't go inside ever

Not lit at all. I have no lights in there. It's basically got whatever light is out at the time. So at sunset it's not lit really. And during the day some times they go up the ramp exploring but don't go inside ever
I just saw your other thread so answered a bit over there as well (in the future, best to keep 1 thread as long as it's same topic).

Chickens can't navigate well in the dark, so by having a dark coop they're not only lacking light to navigate by, but likely enough ventilation to ensure good health. You want around 1 sq ft of ventilation open 24/7 per bird, more if you have a hotter climate, and enough light that you could read inside there at sunset. But I believe you said you're getting a new coop, so this might not be worth fixing right now?

Chickens also do not instinctively use ramps. You need to train them to use it.

Back
Top Bottom