Tooo many chickens...

floridachickhatcher

Songster
8 Years
May 22, 2011
Hollister,FL
I have like 15 non laying hens and then maybe 15 young roosters and we are trying to get rid of them but no one is calling when is a good time to sell roosters and meat chickens in the season? Cause they are PIGS!! And plus thats way too many roosters i only want 2 of them and its my red sex links

You can try the Buy~Sell~Auction section of the forum, list them on Craigslist, put an ad in your local paper.... Or you can learn to process chickens and fill your freezer and pantry with frozen and canned chicken. That's what I do.

Quote:
well with craigslist you have all those spam emails and tried the paper many times and for the processing well we dont have a scaulder/plucker i mean im to the point of asking mom does she just want to sell them for a $1 to get rid of them

Quote:
well with craigslist you have all those spam emails and tried the paper many times and for the processing well we dont have a scaulder/plucker i mean im to the point of asking mom does she just want to sell them for a $1 to get rid of them

It doesn't take special equipment to process. I just have an old canning pot and a sharp knife. Works well enough for me. If doing the deed is out of the question for you, you could try posting a freebie ad at your feed store. That is what I did before I got the nerve to try processing.

How much are you asking for them? Non laying hens I usually give away if I don't want to process them. I'd try craigslist, fliers at your feed stores, etc. Or learn to process. We don't have a scalder or plucker, either. We have sharp knives, a kill cone we made from some thick plastic pond liner, and a big trash can. Ziploc baggies for when we're done.

Quote:

You don't have to scald/pluck them at all. I just skin mine, which is easy when they're young. Most of my recipes call for skinless anyway.

well mom is asking for $2.50 and i want $5 for the roosters cause i hatched them from chicks and they are big and mom is really thinking about killing them but i dont want to since i hatched them from eggs and i dont want to see all the feathers and crap and then have to dress them but if we dont get any buyers by the end of this month then....sigh i guess we are going to have to kill them one by one

I saw a post on another thread recently about someone who couldn't find anyone to take her "packing peanut" roosters. She ended up taking them to a local zoo and they used them to feed the animals.

It's an idea if you're not keen to eat them yourself.

Back
Top Bottom