Top 5 Backyard Chicken Breeds

Can't say for sure. Could be an Easter Egger. Then it looks like maybe a Welsummer they are similar colored. The picture is actually too far away to really tell.

Last edited:

Thanks for responding--does this help? :)

Last edited:
Here are my five favorites.

1. Jersey Giant - best chicken in the world - wonderful regular huge egg laying - great table bird - docile but rugged and self-assured - hardy all day long

2. Croad Langshan - same as Jersey Giant in many ways but even taller and a bit faster growing and a little smaller. Cooler looking eggs often with a purple tint to the brownish color. Faster and more agile than other chickens in part because of the long athletic legs

3. Australorp - See Jersey Giant. Almost like a cross between jersey Giant and a Buff Orpington. One of the best egg producers in the world. Very friendly if handled as babies and they seem to do well in any situation. Faster growing than the others less docile than buffs from which they were derived.

4. Buff Orpington - The most docile huggable broody chickens I have ever known. Very pretty golden buff almost orange colors from the roos. Great cream tan eggs. This chicken gets dominated by every other chicken breed in the pecking order.

5. New Hampshire - Most hardy survivable chicken I have ever owned. If left unchecked these will abuse or wreck any other (rooster) chicken I have (owned) seen except a Jersey or Langshan. The Jersey seems to simply ignore the provocations until they dont and the rowdy New Hampshire gets sent running. The Langshans will likewise ignore until they respond by agile face off then wait for the red rooster to jump up to attack then duck and run under him and turn around and peck him in the back of his head sending him running. I've seen these New Hampshires grow to "godzilla" size like 11 pounds or more with strong broad shoulders. They mature very fast and start laying early like only 18 weeks or less. Good egg production and good table size. Meat is less dark meat (my Jerseys have too much dark meat for me). But I never saw fighting before i got these new Hampshires except for the rare mild Langshan fights.

At some point I may replace these New Hampshires with something else probably La Fleche, SLW Wyandottes or Dark Brahmas? For now this is pretty much what I have.

I've actually added some La Fleches and SLW's and the La Fleches are too fragile for my taste. They may look a bit like Langshans but they are made of glass.

Last edited:
So what are the good laying breeds of the Easter Egger breeds for someone like me who does not know which one is best??? I have only raised Production Reds and Barred Rocks Chickens in the past. And so now I am in the process of building a coop and I am new to the whole colored egg scene but have heard nothing but good about the easter eggers in these forums. So since it has been over 18 years of no chickens at all, I figured that I would ask the experts and wise ones on here because everyone seems to be so well informed but me?

Would appreciate all the help I can get from anyone on here.....

Thank you....

Last edited:
So what are the good laying breeds of the Easter Egger breeds for someone like me who does not know which one is best??? I have only raised Production Reds and Barred Rocks Chickens in the past. And so now I am in the process of building a coop and I am new to the whole colored egg scene but have heard nothing but good about the easter eggers in these forums. So since it has been over 18 years of no chickens at all, I figured that I would ask the experts and wise ones on here because everyone seems to be so well informed but me?

Would appreciate all the help I can get from anyone on here.....

Thank you....

Easter Egger is a name given to chickens that look generally like the Ameraucana breed but do not meet the breed standards and lay blue or green eggs. So Easter Egger is not a breed.

That being said, you can order Ameraucana or Easter Eggers and they will lay plenty of colored eggs for you.

Cackle Hatchery has pictures of Easter Egg chickens. http://www.cacklehatchery.com/easteregger.html

Back
Top Bottom