Top Calmest Male Geese? Question n opinions pls

ChampionAlex

Songster
7 Years
May 22, 2012
CT
Ive been thinking about getting a male geese for my females. But I am considering some things.
Which geese are the best to have that wont be aggressive during mating season? I would like a male geese
that would be calm toward me and my other ducklings year around. So please name me three geese that you prefer I buy, thanks !

My Pilgrim gander and Sebastapol gander have never been aggressive toward me, but I did hand raise them. When a stranger visits the most they will do is honk louder and pull at the stranger's jeans a few times. However, they will chase my swans around some, but they pretty much coexist fine. When I had ducks in the same area with the geese, I never noticed problems. They just stayed out of each other's way. I think if you have enough room, it could work out. You just might need to put down an extra food bowl, in case the gander chases the ducks away from one of them.

ANY gander of ANY breed has the potential to turn into a Dr Jekel/Mr Hyde when it comes to breeding season. Even the most mild manored sebastopol ganders can at times become naughty boys to protect their girls and nesting area. A sweet gander during the year could be sweet during breeding season, or be a gander you dont turn your back on. You wont know this until you have them and you get into a full blown breeding season.

I have American Buffs. My gander has been fine for most of the year. Children only need to open their arms and he backs down. As breeding season gets closer Little children are not allowed around them. Today one of the barn cats got too close to Natasha and Boris attacked the cat. He only let go of her when I intervened. Ganders can be difficult.

Back
Top Bottom