Top Hen Bullying 9 week old Pullets

Abby11182

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 12, 2012
We slowly and gradually integrated our pullets in with our year old hens, and ever since the beginning of the process one of the hens has chased them and pecked at them. I assume she's just putting them in their place in the pecking order, but is there anything I should be doing about it? The other girls leave them alone, but the one has them scared silly. No blood has been drawn, some feathers have been pulled during the chase-downs though. Would it mess up the flock if I separated the bully for a while?

Sometimes this is necessary. She may well be the alpha hen or least an enforcer. It often works better to remove such a hen during this time. It will take more than a week for her to be taken down a notch, so keep her out, if you do, for a long period of time before re-introducing her. Hopefully the new pullets will have gained in some confidence by then.

Keep an eye out for another bully to take her place, though. A nine week old is pretty young to be standing up to the abuse that mature hens can dish out.

Hi! While your on the subject of feeding mixed age groups, is it ok for the hens to eat chick crum?i can't really stop them...thanx

Back
Top Bottom