Topic of the Week - Dogs and Chickens

Pics
For everyone who says Blue Nose Pitbulls are bad dogs. Picture of my Blue Nose "Rowdy" with his ball and some of my hens and then by them eating watermelon Rowdy with some hens.jpeg Rowdy with hens eating watermelon.jpeg

Slow and careful introductions, supervised, with water bottle if any sign of chase. Both my rescues had no known experience with poultry. We got lucky, and also worked hard to get here.

She’s 100% American Staffordshire as it turns out!
It is how you raise them. Unfortunately some people give them a bad reputation.

My pooch is an ordinary pavement special who was rescued as a pup of around six weeks old. Someone didn't want her and so they tied her in a plastic shopping bag and threw it into a thorn tree next to the road. She was very curious when I got the chooks, and hangs out with them. Also, since a cat killed one, she suddenly seems to intensely hate cats.

Attachments

• 20220812_155638.jpg
    20220812_155638.jpg
    818.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 20210816_183345.jpg
    20210816_183345.jpg
    408.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230417_124948.jpg
    20230417_124948.jpg
    748.9 KB · Views: 1
I have two boxers. Neighbor's chicken flew into our fenced yard (before we had chickens) and the only thing we found was a chicken wing and foot and a feather sticking out of one of the boxer's mouth. I don't trust my dogs and keep my chicks in a run all the time. Maybe one day but ......don't feel confident in it
We owned boxers for years & I can almost guarantee you that none of the boxers, especially without being spayed or neutered, will calm down until they are around 8 yrs old. After our last Boxer passed we decided to try another more mellow breed.

We just trained young and used basic commands and exposure to get our English Mastiff’s used to chickens.Now every time my sweet chickens are out and my sister brings her dog Mochi over to visit they pass by my coop on the way and Mochi greets the chickens by booping them in the butt and trying to be their friend.:clap Even my rooster loves him!but my rooster is also the most nicest roo ever so not too surprising..

I have had quite a few different breeds of dogs over the years. If I get a puppy. Training them to leave livestock alone is just part of the normal training process. I have had a couple of instances, that broody hens taught them quickly. That chickens are not to be messed with. If the dog is very interested the chickens and showing signs of wanting to give chase. I wait until the dog has the basic commands down. Then take them around the chickens on a leash. If they try to give chase. They told to leave it, then made to sit and stay. Until they collect their emotions. Then we proceed walking amongst the flock. It can take several attempts before they understand what they are supposed to do and can be fully trusted. You just have to have patience. I now use an invisible fence to contain my dogs to the yard. Once they get familiar with that system. I put an electronic training collar on them. When they try to give chase. I press the button on the controller. The vibration and beeping of the collar. Is usually all it takes, for them to engage the thinking side of their brain and leave livestock alone. Which they receive praise and petting for.

Most chicken owners have a dog or two in addition to their flock. Some keep and train their dogs as livestock guardians or flock watchers, while others find they can't trust their dogs with their birds. Keeping these two species together can be done very successfully though. I would like to hear from all you dog and chicken owners what advice you have and what your experiences were when it comes to keeping dogs and chickens together, or at least in harmony. Specifically:

- How do you/did you train your dog(s) not to kill or mess with your chickens?
- What is the best/most effective way to deal with/retrain a dog that killed birds already? (No cruel or inappropriate suggestions, please… Let's keep this thread friendly and informative)
- Tell me about livestock guardian dogs (LGD's)
- Are some dog breeds more or less prone to be a problem around the flock?

For a complete list of our Topic of the Week threads, see here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive
I haven't had chickens in about 13-years, and just picked up 6 this weekend. My dogs (and cats) have always had a great relationship with my chickens. It starts with introducing them ... first, I let the dogs smell the box, then I introduce them to each chick. This time around my Mastiff has become a Chicken Mamma, she checks on them every 15-min or so. My GSD is relatively uninterested, same with my Lhasa Apso and the cat. I handle the chicks multiple times per day, so they are comfortable with being handled, and always let the dogs see what's going on and say "hi." Basically, I treat it like introducing any other new pet into the household.

Our lab retriever is great with our chickens he smells them and leaves them alone. We had him before the first chicken. When we got the chick I would supervise him around the chick. I would surly recommend a lab for anyone that wants a pal for your chickens. I also have a small terrier-chihuhua mix. He tries to stay clear of the big chickens but loves the babies. When they chickens were first hatched he would lay there nd watch them often. My jersey giant runs after him when he is outside so I actually have to keep the chicken from the dog. She doesn’t seem to be aggressively chasing him just trying to get close.

Attachments

• F53A047C-2B0A-4B9B-9C48-00CD6F638B49.jpeg
    F53A047C-2B0A-4B9B-9C48-00CD6F638B49.jpeg
    335.1 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom