Topic of the Week - Drakes and Drake Behaviour

I've always had a drake only flock and they are a delight! I've never had any aggressive related issues.

In 'happy season's as I like to call it (i.e. most of spring) they do try to mate each other and as a result lose some feathers on their head and necks, and do try to chase each other around the pond but it's totally harmless. When they're free range during this time they also tend to wonder a bit further into our neighbors garden, probably looking for ladies!

Other than that, they are extremely sweet and it feels great to know I'm looking after Drake's who aren't usually wanted

This is great..:wee
Drakes 101...:frow
My Drake experiences...Each breed of Drake can have their own Behaviours that change as the seasons change..
Young Drakes begin to be interested in Hens once they have gone through the juvenile molt and have their full Drake feathers in...That's at around 3 to 4 months old..
For the most part Drakes are well behaved, although there are aggressive Drakes that are human aggressive just as some Roosters are aggressive..
Sexual maturity and hormones can have your once sweet Ducky turn into a biting feather duster..:barnie
I love my Ducks but do not cuddle or love on them..Breeding season here begins usually around December...My Ducks are a month early...I have my Drakes separated because it's not pretty when two Drakes begin fighting over Hens...The breeding will continue till probably July.:thI have Calls and this year my ratio will be Fabio with two Hens and Casanova with three Hens..
Drakes can make great pets as long as no Hens are involved...Then they get too hormonal...Drakes are breeding machines and if the ratio is wrong Hens get injured or Drakes do..I always have a plan B in place and a plan C because everyday is a new Day with Drakes and Hens..

:highfive:

So 2-3 females per drake is a good ratio?

As far as ratios go, it depends on the breed. Bantam breeds, like Call, Mallard , East Indies, and mini Appleyard, can do with just 2-3 females per drake. Light breeds, such as Runner, Campbell, Harlequin and Magpie, need the most females. At least 5 but they tend to do better with more, like 7-8 as they tend to be high strung. Medium drakes, are a bit more mellow, and don't need as many as the light drakes. The heavy drakes can do with 3-5 ducks, but the Aylesbury and Rouen do better with pair/ trio mating, because they are slow moving and have a well developed keel.

As far as ratios go, it depends on the breed. Bantam breeds, like Call, Mallard , East Indies, and mini Appleyard, can do with just 2-3 females per drake. Light breeds, such as Runner, Campbell, Harlequin and Magpie, need the most females. At least 5 but they tend to do better with more, like 7-8 as they tend to be high strung. Medium drakes, are a bit more mellow, and don't need as many as the light drakes. The heavy drakes can do with 3-5 ducks, but the Aylesbury and Rouen do better with pair/ trio mating, because they are slow moving and have a well developed keel.

Excellent information, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom