Topic of the Week - Emergency/First Aid Preparedness

Any swelling to the feet or wound can be benefited by a soak with the epsom salts...it's takes the throb and pain out of it. The castor oil is a natural antibacterial, antimicrobial, antifungal, and even a natural insecticide...but it's also a great anti-inflammatory and will take the pain out of the site as well. Castor oil is also known for helping to regrow skin and hair quickly, so it covers all the bases when it comes to wounds or damaged scales due to scale mite.

This is the 2nd time today I've read about the benefits of castor oil. Someone on another thread was discussing how it helped them with their knee pain (for themselves, not their birds).

Interesting stuff!

This is the 2nd time today I've read about the benefits of castor oil. Someone on another thread was discussing how it helped them with their knee pain (for themselves, not their birds).

Interesting stuff!

Yep...I found that out some years back when applying it to long standing scale mites on a rooster with a gimpy hip. He'd been limping like that for months and I think he might have been kicked at his previous place of residence, plus he was old. Not only did his limp disappear by the next day but his spurs, that had been lopped off short, started to grow and grew quickly back to their natural length, while the old, damaged scales dropped away within a couple of weeks and left supple, smooth and golden scales behind.

That got me to researching CO more and I started using it for my own skeletal and soft tissue pain, as I can't use any PO pain meds for this....and it works to knock that pain down and it keeps it down for days, lasting longer than any PO med I've ever tried.

Come to find out, the horse racing industry has been using CO for centuries to get horses back to racing form quickly, using it on inflamed tendons and other injuries for a quick recovery.

Yep...I found that out some years back when applying it to long standing scale mites on a rooster with a gimpy hip. He'd been limping like that for months and I think he might have been kicked at his previous place of residence, plus he was old. Not only did his limp disappear by the next day but his spurs, that had been lopped off short, started to grow and grew quickly back to their natural length, while the old, damaged scales dropped away within a couple of weeks and left supple, smooth and golden scales behind.

That got me to researching CO more and I started using it for my own skeletal and soft tissue pain, as I can't use any PO pain meds for this....and it works to knock that pain down and it keeps it down for days, lasting longer than any PO med I've ever tried.

Come to find out, the horse racing industry has been using CO for centuries to get horses back to racing form quickly, using it on inflamed tendons and other injuries for a quick recovery.

Good to know...thanks for the additional info!

How do you acquire penicillin and amoxicillin?
Which form? you can get injectable penicillin at most feed stores, but oral penicillin and amoxicillin have to be purchased online as fish antibiotics. Google "penicillin for fish" or "amoxicillin for fish".

Injectable penicillin:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/combi-pen-48-100-ml-bimeda-antibacteria?cm_vc=-10005

Oral penicillin
https://www.google.com/search?q=pen...r=1.5#q=penicillin+for+fish&safe=off&tbm=shop

Oral amoxicillin
https://www.google.com/search?q=pen...=1.5#safe=off&tbm=shop&q=amoxicillin+for+fish

Avian vet search links:

Note that almost all drugs are not "approved" for use in laying hens, and some are actually banned, so it would be best to consult with a vet before using any drugs.

Last edited:
I recommend having chicken saddles in your first aid kits.

B]

My "chicken first aid kit" is nothing compared to everyone else's long lists of antibiotics, oils and ointments. Mine just consists of a bottle of ACV and some Brewers Yeast. I've kept chickens for 5 years now, and it's all that I've ever needed- if I notice a bird doesn't look to great, then they will go and live in a snug brooder for a while with a supply of ACV water and layers pellets mixed with grains (and so far, I've had no deaths!). For weak newborn chicks, they will stay in the incubator for a few more days, and are regularly given a sugar-water solution through a syringe (which works pretty well), but I'm not afraid to cull a sick chick that doesn't pull through. For me, my focus is on PREVENTING diseases and problems, instead of preparing for them.

I am quite against the use of antibiotics, unless absolutely necessary- overuse and dosing an under the weather bird is just going to make viruses and diseases resistant.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record … yet another great Topic of the Week!

Not a chance I am going to be able to add to the already educational and concise must have list .,. thank you all
clap.gif

But, besides some of the stuff already mentioned, I also keep a tin of Sardines in the cupboard.

This may sound silly, but any other oils, even if in the chicken-only cupboard, may get used if the pantry has run out and not be available when you need them.

My gals love sardines and the oil content is good for helping shift impacted crop, besides giving the bird some probably much needed nutrition. Also, no chance of anyone else using the sardines
wink.png

On top of the majority of what everyone has listed, I've got:

Hibitane Crème ointment
Mastitus ointment
Red cote
Baby oil
Chap stick
Dog nail clippers
Assortment of water soluble vitamins
All types of syringes
Variety of needles
Gauze
Non-stick surgical pads
Livestock marking paint (All colors)
Zip ties
Craft Baggies (powder meds/vitamins or for samples )
Measuring spoons/cups
Virkon tabs & powder
Hibitane disinfectant
Vinegar
Bleach
Stones surgical soap
Outdoor thermometers
Variety of Heat bulbs (65, 125, 250)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom