Topic of the Week - Feeding mealworms, bugs etc.

JomoChick

In the Brooder
Mar 14, 2018
My girls see me coming and come running for the mealy worms. . I. E. Chicken Crack! They turn their beaks up at crickets, but they do love a good worm

JomoChick

In the Brooder
Mar 14, 2018
I put some cinder blocks out in the run and every few weeks I'll turn them over and the chooks go crazy for the bugs, it's pretty funny to watch

I've also seen my dad feed them *still living) mice that have been caught in the trap. That was pretty gross, but the chickens were thrilled
What a great idea... I'm going to do the same!

JomoChick

In the Brooder
Mar 14, 2018
Just my personal preference, but I think some folks just worry too much about what their chickens are eating, aren't eating, etc.
Of course, I do NOT suggest feeding chickens things that will obviously harm them. And I am also not going to encourage folks to feed their chickens potato chips, noodles, ice cream, etc.

I do love to dig for all sorts of live bugs for my chickens to enjoy :) My chickens will also eat snakes, frogs, lizards, mice, etc. :lol:

My chickens free range dusk till dawn, and boy do they get their crops filled! They forage on grass, weeds, leaves, under fruit trees, so many types of insects, etc.
They also have access to feed and water 24/7. I prefer Purina :)

My flock is also occasionally fed bird seed and other treats. They get table scraps every evening. I always leave at least two waterers out (in the yard and in the coop). But some of my chickens just prefer puddles :rolleyes: :p

Have a blessed day :D
I do it exactly the same way. Happy to see a like minded person

mosse71

Songster
Oct 18, 2016
n. maine
I've had a colony going for 10ys now in a 30gal. tote. besides the chickens and ducks, i feed the wild birds some throughout the winter months. i must have 100,000 mealys in that tote! love watching my birds eat them!

Top Bottom