Topic of the Week - Feeding Treats

I have only owned chickens a couple months so im no expert. I have a flock of 11 and a flock of 16 chicks that are 5-6 weeks in their own coop. I feed the grown flock layer pellets with probiotics, mixed grain consisting of wheat, corn, milo, wild bird feed, and about 30% roasted soy beans. They also have oyster shell and grit at all times. And then they get what ever table scraps we have. They lay very large eggs on a daily basis.

For the chics, they get 20% protein starter/ grower and chick grit. When they get to 8 weeks ill let them have some mixed grain sometimes. They are also very found of grass, but they get that on their own

Hi all you wonderful Chicken nurturers! I have only had chickens for 7 months - ready to lay after having 2 brain injuries to help me learn something new! My chickens have after starting very rarely not laid an egg daily each. I'm wondering why not feed them bread, yogurt or bird seed. although I don't feed bird seed since my chickens are "cooped up" they love all these things and it gives them something different to peck on besides each other. I have learned that they shouldn't have tomatoes or apples or they become more "peckish" with each or other more cannibalistic. They seem to be thriving except when I inadvertently gave them avocado/skins and just about wiped them out. :( One only got sick really and she came back well after some TLC and time apart to recoup her energy. I don't have a run, as yet, I think that will be good for them but need to make it mink proof as we have a mink ranch right next door....We'll figure that out this spring! Look forward to the responses! Red Door Coop, Ontario.

- At what age can you start offering chicks treats and how do you go about it? You can offer them treats anytime but I'd would suggest during adulthood when they starts laying eggs.

- What treats do you give your flock? I give my flocks anything from leftovers and even eggshells for calcium.

- How much, and how often do you feed treats? I only feed them once a day for eggshells and for treats itself would be maybe once a week. I don't want them to be soiled! :p

- What treats should NOT be given to chickens, or given in moderation? You shouldn't give chickens candy or anything with sugar especially chocolate because chocolate is toxic to most pets. Food with sodium would be good in moderation, they can die from high sodium levels.

- What are your flock's favourite treats? Bread! :D

Well,

In the winter, the very cold days, I give my adult girls a mixture of scratch and whole corn once a day. Helps them stay warm, and encourages them to still scratch and forage, instead of staying all huddled under the coop, bored and complaining of the cold. I give them grit about 2-3 times a week, tossing it just like the scratch, since my hens aren't free range. Again, to encourage foraging, and that is how they naturally would get grit in the first place (not in a bowl). I just started giving my 5 week old chicks scratch with some grit mixed in, to reward their natural foraging instincts (since they are in a "building" with no actual bugs or tasty tidbits to find)

I also will make an oatmeal "mush" on REALLY cold days, or rainy dreary days. It's warm, and usually has apple chunks, meal worms, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, or whatever i decide to throw in along those lines. The other day, I mixed in some homemade yogurt, so i wouldn't have to throw it out. I figure the probiotics are good for their system just as much as mine.

I am a vegetarian, so we have LOTS of fruits and veggie scraps that we give them. The only things I DON'T put in the run is onion or garlic. ANything else, goes in, to be made into compost. What they don't eat simply get's broken down into compost. I haven't had any issues with them eating anything they shouldn't or getting sick. In the summer we have lots of plantain, and clover that grows in my yard. SO I will harvest that especially, and throw that into their enclosure.

I think my girls favorite treats are the scratch grains and corn, mealworms, and lettuce/spinach. They also love it when we dump in some fresh lawn cuttings too, because it's usually got some type of bugs in there, and they love kicking it all over the place.

I waited till 8 weeks old to give treats. They got nothing but Start & Grow and fresh water till I put them outside in their coop and run at 5 weeks
1f44f.png
, at which time I gave them Chick Grit. Because they had access to grass and bugs.
My girls for the most part only get scratch grains as treats, but I am going to try mixed bird seed when scratch is gone. Why? Because the scratch I buy is about 50% cracked corn and they don't eat the corn. The wheat? rye? barley? and oats? I can't tell the deference, they eat. I rarely have leftovers or kitchen scraps and what I have tossed into the pen they rarely eat and I have to remove, so as not to attract scavengers and predators.
I give them scratch, what they consume in 10 to 15 minutes twice a day scattered on the ground.
They have unlimited access to layers pellets. GC

Last edited:
Sounds like my "girlies" are spoiled but rewarding me greatly! I wouldn't change a thing except getting them to be outside some....they need the sun! They get the early morning sun but only later sun through a window on the west which doesn't last too long at this time of year or in the winter. We have lights on from - now @ 6pm until 10pm and that seems to work for now. They give hints of wanting to roost when I do my last "check" @ 9pm. It is great fun, for the most part except for those freezing rain days in the winter..........but spring always comes! Red Door Coop

We give starter feed and also turkey baby food with scattered peas which they go wild for and dried meal worms..the ducks love the peas and meal worms as well..of course we always offer grit with their feed

Last edited:
Great Topic of the Week!
clap.gif

At what age can you start offering chicks treats and how do you go about it?

I do not have an incubator so any hatches we have had here have been with a broody mumma and in the coop/run. Treats start after approximately 1 week of age. I do not leave any food in the run overnight so when breakfast is served to mumma and babies it is medicated chick start with a side serve of whatever the big girls are also getting [see below].

What treats do you give your flock?

I think that depends on your definition of treats.

The largest portion of their daily staple diet is organic, coarse grain, layer mix.

Smaller part of their daily staple diet is: Mixed leaf lettuce with any of the following ... corn, peas, cooked potato, carrots, tomato, rice, pasta, scrambled or boiled egg, chicken, beef.

I only have 5 x bantams so pretty much what I am cooking the night before, if they are able to eat it, I cook a little bit extra for them.

In summer, they get watermelon every weekend.

Treats are:
Daily: live meal worms at the end of my work day, approximately 5 each.
Once a week they get to share a small slice of cheese.
Also, once a week, they might get some bread, or whatever I am having for lunch which they insist on sharing
wink.png

Some banana occasionally because they are not really huge fans but if I am eating one they want some anyway!

Every couple of months they share a can of sardines in oil.

Once or twice a year they get yoghurt.

How much and how often do you feed treats?

See above.

What treats should NOT be given to chickens, or given in moderation?

Like Wyorp Rock, I have found what my gals like and have stuck with that. I rarely try anything new because they usually do not take to it but if I am going to try something, I always search BYC or Google as to whether they can eat it.

What is your flocks favourite treats?

Meal Worms!!
Cheese
Watermelon

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom