Topic of the Week - Integrating Chicks into an Adult Flock

I have had 6 week olds out few times with the 5 month olds with a pet fence to separate them. Little Jackie Chan pounces on the older every time I would let them together to see how they would do.
So reconstructed a buffet table into a brooder for inside the run to integrate more slowly and keep all safe rather than rushing the process.
We'll see how it goes.

One of the most commonly discussed topics about raising chicks is the best way to transition chicks into an adult flock. So, we’re compiling frequently asked questions and answers into one thread for reference and discussion. Everyone, please tell us your thoughts and practices when it comes to this week’s topic, integrating chicks into an adult flock!

• How old should chicks be when they are integrated into an adult flock?
  • Are they too small to be integrated? Do they need to be a similar size to the older chickens?
  • What is the best way to introduce chicks to the rest of the flock?
  • What / how do you feed a flock of mixed ages after integration?

For a complete list of our Topic of the Week threads, see here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive
The past few years I have raised Chicks I have put them out in the coop at 6 to 8 weeks old for good. Once the weather in Minnesota end of May is nice and they have a good chunk of feathers it has worked out fine. One year I would put them out for 30 minutes or an hour or so into the run to play and walk around, 6 weeks old or so. I went out to get them inside to the hutch, couldnt find them outside, looked in the coop and they were all roosting on the bars with the adults so out they stayed and it worked great. I have seen people say 12 weeks or so but I have succesfully done it in the 6 to 8 week range for a few years now.

If it were warmer in April and early May in Minnesota I would try younger and see if a hen adopts them in but its still cold and I they may be able to still run out of the fence if tiny enough so I typically wait until they are a certain size.

I just feed them regular layer feed at the 8 week range and it has caused no issues.

From 1 wk old my mix of three girls and three boys who are now 12 wks old and have their own sectioned brooder in the coop where they can see the established flock, and they also have their own separated area in the run where they all see each other.

I have the run set up where they can all have access to free range together. The established flock happily leave the coop to free range when I open the door. The six younger runs refuse to leave the run and free range with the others. How do I intergrate them? Do I pick each youngster up and take them out of the run, and if so will they figure out how to get back into the main run and into their brooder, especially if there is trouble? I'm not sure how I should integrate them all.
Once they're bigger, they'll get braver.

One of the most commonly discussed topics about raising chicks is the best way to transition chicks into an adult flock. So, we’re compiling frequently asked questions and answers into one thread for reference and discussion. Everyone, please tell us your thoughts and practices when it comes to this week’s topic, integrating chicks into an adult flock!

• How old should chicks be when they are integrated into an adult flock?
  • Are they too small to be integrated? Do they need to be a similar size to the older chickens?
  • What is the best way to introduce chicks to the rest of the flock?
  • What / how do you feed a flock of mixed ages after integration?

For a complete list of our Topic of the Week threads, see here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive
When should I put my Red Rock baby hens in with my adult Silkie rooster? Rooster is adult and experienced with flocks of Silkies. Hens are 8 weeks old now. They have been living side by side now for 4 weeks. Should I wait until the hens are of egg laying age before integrating them?

My Hawaii babies are doin so well and the 5 month old satins are being ever so gentle and understanding with em!
Oh this is too funny I hate i didn't get it on video!
Joey (big satin) standing beside lil Gracie (silkie baby) and she didn't know and when she looked up she jumped and did her lil wings out!!!
So far so good they are getting along rather well...but only supervises visits for now still.

Attachments

• 20220416_133600.jpg
    20220416_133600.jpg
    828.6 KB · Views: 5
From 1 wk old my mix of three girls and three boys who are now 12 wks old and have their own sectioned brooder in the coop where they can see the established flock, and they also have their own separated area in the run where they all see each other.

I have the run set up where they can all have access to free range together. The established flock happily leave the coop to free range when I open the door. The six younger runs refuse to leave the run and free range with the others. How do I intergrate them? Do I pick each youngster up and take them out of the run, and if so will they figure out how to get back into the main run and into their brooder, especially if there is trouble? I'm not sure how I should integrate them all.
As long as everyone is healthy, they will leave the run when ready! Good luck! 🐓❤️

We have 2 hens that are a little over a yr old and 4 hens that are about 12 weeks old. We've been trying to do the look but can't touch method of introducing but one of our older hens just squawks up a storm if the younger ones are around. We cant put the littles in the coop because there is not enough space for a separate cage. So my husband built a tractor for them all and its separated by chicken mesh wiring but the one hen still just squawks her head off. We don't know what else to do. Do we just let them free roam together for a bit each day and hope they don't fight or kill any of the littles? I didn't think adding new hens would be this hard, but maybe we're just doing it wrong.

Back
Top Bottom