Topic of the Week - Moving Chicks Outside

I have used my brooder many times just this year. I always try to build to reuse, but that may be of limited use to you if you aren’t planning on more chicks in the future. My brooder doesn’t have doors, just openings. I use bricks to block them off when needed. A proper door and reuse is up to you.

I would just use up the starter you have. The rest of your chickens are fine on it, then switch to the grower when you run out. I never throw food out because someone outgrew it and it doesn’t keep as long as you might think.

I have used my brooder many times just this year. I always try to build to reuse, but that may be of limited use to you if you aren’t planning on more chicks in the future. My brooder doesn’t have doors, just openings. I use bricks to block them off when needed. A proper door and reuse is up to you.

I would just use up the starter you have. The rest of your chickens are fine on it, then switch to the grower when you run out. I never throw food out because someone outgrew it and it doesn’t keep as long as you might think.
Thank you so much - I almost wasted a ton of food thinking I had to make that switch before my bag of starter feed ran out. I'll absolutely reuse the brooder - and I've now gathered stones and bricks as doors. Thank you so much for all your help. I feel way more confident now and will report back as this all comes together! You've been tremendously helpful.... thank YOU.

8E411FCE-19DF-4CF9-B4C6-7741A46E19E2.jpeg
My 14 chicks got their 1st outdoor adventure today, they are very pleased.

My chicks are almost feathered and are outside. I have a covered dog kennel with a heat panel in a plastic tote in the coop. I keep the doors open during the day. They decide if they go outside in the run. It is the first time I have kept them in the house for only a week so far it has been great. The biggies once in a while will chase them but they have areas in the run set up for safe zones. They already go in the kennel at night! I have never seen happier chicks. I am so glad I saw Azy's post and tried it. I am in Ohio and the crazy weather so far hasn't fazed them.

I have the luxury of a brooder coop and grow out coops. I floor brood my chicks using an Ohio style brooder hood. Starting when they are about two weeks old. I offer them access to the run on nice, warm days. I keep an eye out, making sure that they figure out. How to get back into the coop and none are getting chilled. When their bodies are fully feathered. I move them to a grow out coop with no heat.

- Do you brood your chicks indoors or outside and if the latter, how do you go about it?
I brood them inside, but I may try to brood outside with my next chicks.

- If you brood indoors, at what age do you do the transition from brooder to outside?
Depending on the breed and season, but usually around 7 weeks. However, they go for "field trips" outside weeks before.

- Any tips for making the transition easier for the little ones?
For the less cold-hardy breeds, I put them in an enclosure inside the coop before they go fully outside so they can get used to the cold.

Attachments

• IMG-20220301-WA0001.jpeg
    IMG-20220301-WA0001.jpeg
    702.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG-20210506-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20210506-WA0003.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210522_151522_HDR.jpg
    20210522_151522_HDR.jpg
    785.8 KB · Views: 8
My 10 RIRs are 3 weeks tomorrow. Thriving and losing the fuzz fast. Brooder is in my garage currently but it's hot this week here in Central Texas. Last night they didn't have heat on and were fine this morning (it registered 79 in the brooder when I got up). Yesterday they were in an enclosed x-pen area inside the run for hours. They loved it and just wanted some "human mama" time every once in a awhile. Coop isn't complete inside but it's done enough to keep them in it (in the x-pen). We just need to install the roosting and such. It's predator proof and has lots of ventilation. It's a 12x16 Tuff Shed being converted with a run attached area of 12x16.

Questions are: 1. do we need a heat source anymore given it is in the high 70s at night and up to 90ish during the day if they're in the coop? 2. Do we leave extra ventilation windows open 24/7 at this point since they're still just 3weeks old?

Do you brood your chicks indoors or outside and if the latter, how do you go about it?

I brood outdoors. My DH has a strong belief that chickens don't belong in the house, a position that I largely agree with, and, anyway, we have cats. Not to mention the noise and dust.

This is my Outdoor Brooder. If it had built it myself I'd have done it differently, but I was converting an existing structure and it DOES work.

My main issue has been keeping my chicks from overheating since, again, the brooder isn't what I'd have designed and the flat roof doesn't allow the kind of airFLOW that would keep the temperatures from rising too fast on hot afternoons.

I did have one amusing episode of trying to cope with a sudden cold snap temperatures covered in this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ay-night-so-im-nervous-advice-wanted.1514590/

If you brood indoors, at what age do you do the transition from brooder to outside?

I don't, but I move my chicks from the brooder to the integration pen somewhere between 4 and 6 weeks depending on how well-feathered they are and what the temperatures are.

For this batch, who had cooler temperatures than others, I gave them a pet carrier to cuddle up in but they didn't use it.

Any tips for making the transition easier for the little ones?

I think that giving them a huddle box is a good idea -- though as noted they won't always actually use it.

Brooding outdoors seems to make the transition very simple. At some point they stop sleeping under the lamp/heat plate and start sleeping away from it. They know when they're done.

Questions are: 1. do we need a heat source anymore given it is in the high 70s at night and up to 90ish during the day if they're in the coop? 2. Do we leave extra ventilation windows open 24/7 at this point since they're still just 3weeks old?

1. Maybe at night, depending on how well feathered they are and if they're willing to use a huddle box.

2. As long as there are no chilly drafts down at the chicks' level the ventilation can, and probably should, be open.

Especially in the daytime -- they need to stay cool enough.

My 10 RIRs are 3 weeks tomorrow. Thriving and losing the fuzz fast. Brooder is in my garage currently but it's hot this week here in Central Texas. Last night they didn't have heat on and were fine this morning (it registered 79 in the brooder when I got up). Yesterday they were in an enclosed x-pen area inside the run for hours. They loved it and just wanted some "human mama" time every once in a awhile. Coop isn't complete inside but it's done enough to keep them in it (in the x-pen). We just need to install the roosting and such. It's predator proof and has lots of ventilation. It's a 12x16 Tuff Shed being converted with a run attached area of 12x16.

My chicks are exactly the same age, this is my first flock since a child so I am no eggspert, but I am in Oklahoma so we have similar situations. I gave mine outdoor time yesterday and they loved their 4 hour adventure. I plan on moving them to the coop in 1 1/2 to 2 weeks, I will have a heat plate for the evening and I plan on closing ventilation in the evening if the temps at night are still below 75 degrees. Hope this helps, some.

Back
Top Bottom