Topic of the Week - Nest boxes

Pics
You don't even need the buckets. The shelf would work fine without the buckets. Put either some golf balls or fake eggs in the nests and the birds will usually lay there.

IMG_0562.JPG
IMG_0650.JPG

All these lovely setups and mine still prefer to lay in an old cat carrier filled with hardwood shavings that I have to make an artificial butt dent in before they will touch it.:( I do have three beautiful nesting baskets that they will lay in once in a blue moon but I think those are there just for decoration.

I have used a variety of nesting materials over the years. Currently I use pine shaving which is ok because they scratch some out on the floors of the coops which is also fine because I put shaving on the floors to make for easier clean out. The poop doesn't stick to the floors as bad. Since I live in Florida I have also used hay, spanish moss and the pine shavings. I just refresh the shaving in the nest boxes every once in awhile. I also have a golf ball in most of the nest boxes and it seems to encourage the girls to lay in them.

On the topic of nest box bedding, which my hens tell me I fail miserably at (nothing I put in the boxes, stays in there, NOTHING), this looks nice and has great reviews, has anyone tried it?

https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Pet-Excelsior-Nesting-Pads/dp/B00CAVMIK2/?tag=backy-20

Yes! I use those in the "cubbies" and the larger size on the droppings board below the roost. It's probably slow to degrade in the compost bin but doesn't need frequent replacing in the coop or cubbies, just shake the droppings off.
FWIW, aspen leaf swamp cooler pads are made of the same stuff but have a netting back instead of paper, very inexpensive if you can find them.

-What do you use for nest boxes?
I built my nests out of wood to simulate the round holed metal nest banks,
a functional design that also pings the heart of my aesthetics. The holes entrance makes for a nice lip and a cozier/safer feel.(Hens don't' want 'privacy' they want 'safety'.)
Also have a portable floor nest to use as an extra nest when pullets are coming into lay...and for the one time I had a broody hatch out.
1062469-31ddf53ed21f0c29e921ea8543e01dac.jpg

- What bedding materials do you use in your nest boxes?
I like a good tight flake of soft straw, crammed in and 'bowled' out a bit.
Recently have a hen that is tearing up the nests every day, so the pics below show little straw in nests as she's kicked most of it out. Doesn't seem to be a problem tho, no broken eggs<shrugs>

- Maintaining your nest boxes. (Cleaning, pest control, etc)
There is a piece of heavy duty foam backed vinyl (the same that is on the floor of coop and lining the poop boards) lining the bottom of each nest box, and an extra piece on hand for quick change in case of a broken egg in nest. Easy to scoop out the soiled straw and remove the vinyl to be washed, replacing with clean liner and straw. DE is sprinkled heavily into all cracks and crevices in nest structure, under nest liner, and sprinkled thru new straw when it's added, to possibly help deter insects from habituating those places.

- Managing broody hen(s) in the nest box.
Broody hen hatched in the portable floor nest in the partition area of my coop.
Most broodies get put directly into the broody breaker crate.

- How do you make your nest boxes attractive for the hens? (I.e. encourage them to use the boxes, instead of dropping their eggs all over the yard)
Fake (solid hard plastic) eggs and/or golf balls in all nests as 'bait'....helps spread the love s they all don't want use the same nest, works good most the time.

- How do you discourage your hens from sleeping in the nest boxes?
All roosts are higher than nest and nest perch. I have a hinged nest cover that I put down an hour before roosting time, then flip back open when I lock up after dark. Usually only need to use this when there are new chicks in the flock and only as long as it takes them to learn to use the roosts.....which can take a couple months, or if lucky like this year, just a few days.

Nest Bank, being stalked by the current nestmesserupper.
1062451-729b406ceb6471306e55621ce201b1d0.jpg

Rear access, chains hold door that becomes a handy shelf.
1062453-dd3afe6cb5590f5aea6ea90a5455346b.jpg

1062454-5ea74a22483d058324855b6dcc33c110.jpg

Nest cover deployed.
1062452-5a2f890cda44126dab89dcec57c66c53.jpg

Access door cracked open in summer for a bit if ventilation.
1062455-ce77814b41f6a3af765dffaffae9f4df.jpg

Portable floor nest being used by newly laying pullet.
1062456-87d51184b85f3ad8682fede13ef03cd4.jpg

Portable floor nest being used by broody and her chicks,
ramp added for easier access for the short legged.
1062459-722eabe440ab16781be4c4da90d6dfa8.jpg
I'll have mine built similar to these, with the round holes on the front :)

Back
Top Bottom