Topic of the Week - "Off-grid" Feeding - Homemade feeds, etc.

I've also heard of people getting spent grains from the brewery. Does anyone do this? Is there enough nutritional value that it's worth it? From what I understand they have to be used pretty quick. The one brewery I looked at wanted someone to take all or nothing and it was such a huge quantity it in no way worked for my small flock, but if this is a viable way to help cut your feed costs, I will ask around more. Colorado has more microbreweries than I can count.

I had livestock nutrition and poultry science in college, and it convinced me that those bags of feed at the farm store are the best way for me to feed my flock, in addition to their free range time. There's no way that I have the time or desire to make a balanced home made diet, or spend the extra money involved in producing it.
It is possible, but difficult.
All the best to you folks who are willing to commit to what it takes to do this for your farm flocks!
About the seed mixes for house birds and 'pocket pets'; nutritional deficiencies are NOT rare in those animals, because they can and do pick out the yummy stuff, and leave the rest.
Mary

Oddly enough, a lady I know who shows birds feeds hers dry cat food. I've started doing it and their feathers are staying so glossy and full.

I've read about supplementing their feed with cat food during molt, so this is definitely great in a pinch, but is this the exclusive feed being used? Is this adequate long term? Does feeding cat food end up being more or less expensive than chicken food?

not trying to sound confrontational i'm just interested in this thread. I feel like some of you seem to be missing the point of this thread..

I look at the question like if SHTF tomorrow and you could no longer go buy balanced formulas from feed stores what would you do? you have to do something. you cant just feed them chicken feed if it's not available lol and you cant let them starve. what would you do for all the different periods in its life, what would you do different for chicks, what would you do different for meat birds or layers?

My roosters get mad if they can't get in and have some dog crunchies. I use feed from the store and ll my birds free range as well. I call the feed "chicken crack" they sure do like it.. Still nothing like watching a chicken chasing bugs and grasshoppers.. I'm a bit to dumb to get into all that "nutritional" sciencey stuff. Birds are happy and healthy.. good enough fer me.. ;)

not trying to sound confrontational i'm just interested in this thread. I feel like some of you seem to be missing the point of this thread..

I look at the question like if SHTF tomorrow and you could no longer go buy balanced formulas from feed stores what would you do? you have to do something. you cant just feed them chicken feed if it's not available lol and you cant let them starve. what would you do for all the different periods in its life, what would you do different for chicks, what would you do different for meat birds or layers?

So if all I had right now in the dead of winter, is what is already in my house, and it's feed them something or they starve, this is what they'd probably end up with...

a picked over ham carcass that's been haunting my fridge
cat food
some bagged salad
their own eggs
some flax seed
some greek yogurt (maybe, last time I gave them some they hated it)
chia seeds (can they eat chia?)
rolled oats

you can sprout chi seeds and they like it, idk about raw.

now you have to think what would you do long term? how long would that last you. what are you willing to part with? living that lifestyle you have to remember you need food to ;) what would you grow for them for the future? etc

I habe 15 acres of forrest, about 1/2 an acre of it is blackberries, I have several garden beds and room for more. I plan to grow some basic grains this year, amaranth etc,

That seems like a huge amount of feed for a free range flock of 50 birds. We have 34 birds including four peafowl, and we go through 100 lbs of feed about every two and a half to three weeks. Maybe something else is eating your feed?
Possibly. I've been thinking of putting up game cameras. It's also possible that my memory has gone haywire and they ate less than that, LOL.

Right now I have 34 birds on no range and they are eating about 50 lbs of feed per week.

Last edited:
I do rely on ready mixed processed pellets approx 4oz per bird per day in winter. The birds free range nearly everyday and I do supplement their diet with fresh spinach, cooked potatoes, rolled oats and the odd tin of sardines in sun flower oil. Depending on season they get a variety of vegetables from the Polytunnel and occasional homemade bread scraps. They lay really well and are always clean with nice feathers and no obvious parasite or health problems. In the Summer they eat only about 1oz of meal a day each.

Back
Top Bottom