Topic of the Week - Perches for Coop and Run

And the flat vs round debate goes on. I figure the modern chicken is basically a domesticated jungle fowl, which have evolved/were designed to roost in trees, and trees rarely have flat limbs. Makes sense to me.

I used a wooden stair rail. I roughened the top a bit with a course sandpaper so it's not super smooth and too slippery for the birds
096223172334.jpg

The width is about two and a half inches and their feet fit perfectly across the flatter top, their talons just curling around the rounded sides. When they sit down their feathers cover their feet completely so they stay warm.

The downside is it isn't as cheap as a 2x4, definitely not as much as a tree branch gathered from the forest.

I Have a mix of materials. I also live in a pine forrest and have used large branches to create a jungle gym in the run.
IMG_3658.JPG
In the coop I used painted 2x4s wide side up for roosts. They are 18" apart vertically, 12" apart horizontally and about 18" up from the poop board which is 3 ft off the ground for easy clean up for me. I also have a ladder going to the first roost which some of the girls use.
IMG_3194.JPG
From the lowest roost I have a 2x2 that bridges the first roost to the upper nest boxes. I added this because the girls had a hard time accessing the boxes and it is now one of the favorite roosting spots.
IMG_3474.JPG
About half the girls use the 2x4 and half the 2x2 at night. Though during summer, my barred rock, Sweet Pea, sleeps in the window sill. (The window is cover with hardware cloth.)

IMG_4004.JPG

In our coop we have a 2x4View attachment 1144721 In the run a tree branch

View attachment 1144722

I like the tree branch best, I just think is looks nicer and a bit more natural to what they would have in the wild
In our coop we have a 2x4View attachment 1144721 In the run a tree branch

View attachment 1144722

I like the tree branch best, I just think is looks nicer and a bit more natural to what they would have in the wild
What is the 2" PVC pipe for inside the coop

Back
Top Bottom