Pics

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
Topic of the Week (9).png

Pic by @Red Barn Farms
Feeding the flock is hands down the most expensive part of raising and keeping poultry, after the initial costs of providing secure housing for them. So, this week I would like to hear what you all suggest and do when it comes to saving money feeding your flocks.

For a complete list of our Topic of the Week threads, see here:https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

Last edited by a moderator:
Buying fresh feed and storing it properly are major issues as well. Moisture on feed ruins. Pests like insects, mice and raccoons can all consume feed and damage bags. Keep the feed out of high heat and direct sun as well. It takes more poor quality feed to realize a given level of performance and that can be a real problem when feed quality and feed price are not aligned.

Buying fresh feed and storing it properly are major issues as well. Moisture on feed ruins. Pests like insects, mice and raccoons can all consume feed and damage bags. Keep the feed out of high heat and direct sun as well. It takes more poor quality feed to realize a given level of performance and that can be a real problem when feed quality and feed price are not aligned.

Yes.
I add a little water so it doesnt blow away in the wind.

When I fed a large flock outside (in the run) I realised I was feeding half the neighbourhood's wild birds as well. I changed my feeding practices by not leaving food out all day and feeding twice a day only and standing nearby to deter any freeloaders while the chickens were eating (about 10-15 minutes was enough), before covering all remaining feed until the next feeding time. I cut my feed bill in half :mad: Yes, the wild birds were consuming as much feed as my 100 bird strong flock did!

Back
Top Bottom