Topic of the Week - Toxic treats and foraging

I have creeping Charlie all over my yard and battle it in my gardens constantly. It is nearly impossible to get rid of without herbicides which I will not use. I'm assuming it is not harmful as a member of the mint family and it is actually edible for people, though I don't like it and I love most mints. Does anyone have anyone have any input on this? I would love it if the chickens like it and could help me control it. ;)

I know one thing you should never give your chickens is watermelon. A friend of mine had four hens and a rooster. She tossed a quarter of a seedless watermelon in the pen and they devoured it. About eight hours later she had four dead hens.
Holy moly that terrible! I thought watermellon was good treat to give them :( at least that is what i have been reading

watermelon is good if not full of pesticides.

my friend's toddler ended up in hospital after eating watermelon. the doctor said too many pesticides for such a small body.

I know one thing you should never give your chickens is watermelon. A friend of mine had four hens and a rooster. She tossed a quarter of a seedless watermelon in the pen and they devoured it. About eight hours later she had four dead hens.

As stated by other posters, I'm guessing the death was caused by pesticide, not the fruit itself. Yep. Makes me want to run right out and buy a watermelon!

I have creeping Charlie all over my yard and battle it in my gardens constantly. It is nearly impossible to get rid of without herbicides which I will not use. I'm assuming it is not harmful as a member of the mint family and it is actually edible for people, though I don't like it and I love most mints. Does anyone have anyone have any input on this? I would love it if the chickens like it and could help me control it. ;)

My yard is over run by creeping charlie. Notice how insects NEVER bother it? I think it would be fantastic to dry and use as a coop/nest bedding. I love the smell of it when the lawn gets mowed. And yes, my chickens are fond of it.

IMO, if the flock has frequent access to green material, they will pick and choose what to eat, and you don't have to worry about them eating something "bad". It's when a flock is kept in a run that is void or almost completely void of edible forage material that you have to worry about them ingesting something poisonous. My flock goes out of their way to eat rhubarb leaves during fall garden clean up. But, if they were confined to a bare moon scape run, I would never consider putting rhubarb leaves in their run

Lazy gardener, Thanks!! I never paid much attention to insects not bothering it as the only ones that I see around any of my mints are bees. Not a bad idea drying it, may try that as it will pull up in huge matts from the mulched areas. .

Mine will be in a run much of the time due to predators (including those from the air) and I work full time, just me and critters, so no one else home. By next year I hope to have a safe tractor run. I hope to supply them with lots of extra goodies from the yard etc. So free range is only viable when I can be outside with them. Am planting hops, mint and comfrey around the outside of their run.

Scary about the watermelon, so organic from the summer farmer's markets and not the ones out of season.

watermelon is good if not full of pesticides.

my friend's toddler ended up in hospital after eating watermelon. the doctor said too many pesticides for such a small body.

Oh my goodness!!! How awful. I hate pesticides have since I read Diet for a Small Planet back in the early 70's. Some of the info in her book has been disproven but much has been proven so correct.

Oh my goodness!!! How awful. I hate pesticides have since I read Diet for a Small Planet back in the early 70's. Some of the info in her book has been disproven but much has been proven so correct.
I have that book on my shelf, along with Recipes for a Small Planet. Good info in those books that never gets old.

Lazy gardener, Thanks!! I never paid much attention to insects not bothering it as the only ones that I see around any of my mints are bees. Not a bad idea drying it, may try that as it will pull up in huge matts from the mulched areas. .

Mine will be in a run much of the time due to predators (including those from the air) and I work full time, just me and critters, so no one else home. By next year I hope to have a safe tractor run. I hope to supply them with lots of extra goodies from the yard etc. So free range is only viable when I can be outside with them. Am planting hops, mint and comfrey around the outside of their run.

Scary about the watermelon, so organic from the summer farmer's markets and not the ones out of season.

When looking at tractor run options, you might consider the use of cattle panels. You could build a 2 panel tractor that would have an 8 x 8 foot print, and be tall enough to stand in. It would double as a grow out coop, a tractor, and could be used as a green house in the off season simply by switching out the coverings.

I used to have both books, they were lost in a flooded store room years ago. One of these days maybe I'll replace them. I did replace some others as I have found them on clearance @ 1/2 price books.

Tractor is next year, may not be that big as I have a city lot so not lots of room as already gardens, a patio, now a chicken coop, later this summer a shed (to replace one severely damaged by the wind last year) and 2 pups that love to run. Something to think about though.

I tossed some creeping Charlie into the small dog crate I used for the chicks outside field trip the past 2 days, they loved it. This morning I cut a bit of kale and some lambs quarters and popped it in their brooder, they were still fussing at it when I left them alone. Have to go to work so will see when I get home what they consumed.

Back
Top Bottom