Topic/Question of the week - Feeding table scraps to your flock

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chicken Egg 17, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    One topic that is commonly discussed when it comes to feeding and watering your flock, is what table scraps can you feed your flock? So we thought we'd ask everyone to come and give your perspective and answers to this topic. What all should and shouldn't you feed your flock? Please tell us your thoughts and practices when it comes to this weeks topic.

How much of the table scraps can your feed your flock at a time?

What all table scraps should and shouldn't you feed your flock?

How often should you give your flock table scraps.

For a complete list of our Topic of the Week threads, see here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2017
  2. americanchicks

americanchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    Auburn, wa
    I do indeed feed mine scraps. They get something about every other day or so. I only put enough for them to eat then and there I don't like old food siting in the pen. The girls love there fruits and veggies. Watermelon I think is there fave. I try and not give them too much pasta or meat craps. I will feed them left over scrambled eggs and even egg shells ever now and then. Make sure you crush them up I learned that the hard way with my first flock. One started eating the eggs in the coop, the nest boxes where always a goopy mess. The one thing I will not feed them is chicken! I now they will eat it not even thinking about it. Its just too creepy for me[​IMG]

3. Dandelion44

Dandelion44 Just Hatched

May 21, 2016
    Taylor, TX
    Sometimes I run out of food, and then feed them rice and scrambled eggs. They get scrambled eggs about 3xs a week. They pick out egg shells from compost bin plus eat everything in there.

They get whatever is leftover.

4. kgb6days

kgb6days Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2016
    Mine get something most days, not always table scraps. Cucumbers, watermelon rinds, cantaloupe rinds. They LOVE meat scraps - shocked me. I also have 2 dogs who NEVER get table scraps (we feed them raw meat only) and they look very vexed when the chicken get the table scraps and they can't even taste them
    Kristy

1 person likes this.
  5. cukuriku

cukuriku Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2016
    I feed them scraps-salads, eggs, meat (oh boy do they fight hard for the fatty parts!) cooked potato, stale leftover bread, and believe it or not-watermelon they just never even attempt!! But frozen mango they loooooooooooove! We try not to give everyday and not every meal either, but every now and then, to make sure they get more fluids from the veggies in the hot summer and more protein from the eggs and meat. Meat is once a week though, very little, and eggs most often. It's a favorite treat as well!

6. miss_ellie

miss_ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Manitowoc, WI
    I give mine veggies in the morning. I have 4 and will break up a cob of corn, or cut a cucumber in half for them or give them lettuce or kale from the garden. In the afternoon I give them fruit- they love grapes and watermelon, won't touch bananas. I also include some mealy worms or shredded cheese in the evening.

7. Wyatt0224

Wyatt0224 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2016
    Westminster, Maryland
    What kind of meat is safe to give to chcikens?

8. kysilkies

kysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Guard dog gets real leftovers, chickens may get Mac n cheese if lucky! We give them plenty of snacks, watermelon, tomatoes, corn, rice, etc.....

9. BlueJuniper

BlueJuniper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2016
    Albuquerque NM
    My Coop
    My girls go crazy over watermelon and cantaloupe rinds. They pick them apart till they are paper thin![​IMG]

10. Fallenone05

Fallenone05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2015
    Oklahoma
    I give mine chopped tomatoes and mostly vegetables and fruit. We buy the long, skinny lettuce (I think romaine?) and they get the weird nubs at the end and eat them til there's nothing, along with cucumber skins/cucumbers, squash, cantaloupe & watermelon rinds, grapes, bananas, cooked eggs, yogurt, cooked steel cut oats and corn on the cob when we don't eat them for leftovers. I'll occasionally make a goopy mess of water, raw egg and honey/real maple syrup, their laying pellets and scratch as a snack and they LOVE it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by