Topic of the Week - Feeding table scraps to your flock

Pics

Chicken Egg 17

Songster
Dec 11, 2015
McVeytown PA
Topic of the Week (4).png

One topic that is commonly discussed when it comes to feeding and watering your flock, is what table scraps can you feed your flock? So we thought we'd ask everyone to come and give their perspective and answers to this topic.

What all should and shouldn't you feed your flock? Please tell us your thoughts and practices when it comes to this week's topic.

- How much of the table scraps can your feed your flock at a time?
- What all table scraps should and shouldn't you feed your flock?
- How often should you give your flock table scraps?

For a complete list of our Topic of the Week threads, see here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

Last edited by a moderator:
I do indeed feed mine scraps. They get something about every other day or so. I only put enough for them to eat then and there I don't like old food siting in the pen. The girls love there fruits and veggies. Watermelon I think is there fave. I try and not give them too much pasta or meat craps. I will feed them left over scrambled eggs and even egg shells ever now and then. Make sure you crush them up I learned that the hard way with my first flock. One started eating the eggs in the coop, the nest boxes where always a goopy mess. The one thing I will not feed them is chicken! I now they will eat it not even thinking about it. Its just too creepy for me
tongue.gif

Mine get something most days, not always table scraps. Cucumbers, watermelon rinds, cantaloupe rinds. They LOVE meat scraps - shocked me. I also have 2 dogs who NEVER get table scraps (we feed them raw meat only) and they look very vexed when the chicken get the table scraps and they can't even taste them
Kristy

I feed them scraps-salads, eggs, meat (oh boy do they fight hard for the fatty parts!) cooked potato, stale leftover bread, and believe it or not-watermelon they just never even attempt!! But frozen mango they loooooooooooove! We try not to give everyday and not every meal either, but every now and then, to make sure they get more fluids from the veggies in the hot summer and more protein from the eggs and meat. Meat is once a week though, very little, and eggs most often. It's a favorite treat as well!

I give mine veggies in the morning. I have 4 and will break up a cob of corn, or cut a cucumber in half for them or give them lettuce or kale from the garden. In the afternoon I give them fruit- they love grapes and watermelon, won't touch bananas. I also include some mealy worms or shredded cheese in the evening.

I give mine chopped tomatoes and mostly vegetables and fruit. We buy the long, skinny lettuce (I think romaine?) and they get the weird nubs at the end and eat them til there's nothing, along with cucumber skins/cucumbers, squash, cantaloupe & watermelon rinds, grapes, bananas, cooked eggs, yogurt, cooked steel cut oats and corn on the cob when we don't eat them for leftovers. I'll occasionally make a goopy mess of water, raw egg and honey/real maple syrup, their laying pellets and scratch as a snack and they LOVE it

Back
Top Bottom