Torn comb update

Flowerfairy

In the Brooder
Oct 1, 2021
On Monday my 6 m/o olive egger Gertrude got attacked by another one of my hens. I believe that the other hen ripped part of Gertrudes comb, maybe like a quarter inch from her head. It doesn’t look like the flesh was impacted much. But it’s hard to tell.
Since the incident I have isolated her and cleaned her wound twice a day.
She seems to be happy, it’s only day two of recovery. I don’t really know how long I should isolate her from the group.
How long does it take for chickens to heal?
I also noticed the skin around her eyes were more red than usual. I’m not sure if the medication is irritating the skin. It’s so hard to keep up with every little detail I feel like I second guess myself constantly. I just want her to be okay! Thank you for everyone’s help.

Just a few more details so her condition is clear:
She’s pooping regularly
Drinking plenty of water, eating well.
Her tail was down for a little after the incident but has perked up.
She’s very vocal
But she shakes her head a lot. Her comb is not in her eyes,
And I noticed she has been sneezing every so often. I don’t know if when I put the medication (I have been using microcyn and heal xcel poultry) it’s been dripping down into her eye and nose area
It’s hard to get her to stay still while I do it…..
Anyway this is a lot to read
She seems perfectly normal except for those two things.
I also noticed she’s been wagging her tail a lot? From what I can tell there’s no poop around her bottom.

!!!!! thanks again!!!! You all have been so helpful.

Attachments

• 0F0DF25B-A67E-4CFF-8823-0B23EF61974E.jpeg
    0F0DF25B-A67E-4CFF-8823-0B23EF61974E.jpeg
    515 KB · Views: 8
  • B7209D55-6372-4E10-B8A1-000E4DBACEF2.jpeg
    B7209D55-6372-4E10-B8A1-000E4DBACEF2.jpeg
    727.9 KB · Views: 3
What are you using to clean the wound? I would just put some plain Neosporin ointment on it daily. Shaking the head could keep the wound bleeding or prevent it from healing. I would keep her crate inside the coop and run with the others. They do much better with the other chickens, even when separated inside a dog crate. It makes it easier to place her back when she is healed.

Back
Top Bottom