1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

toss the eggs or not?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by snowflake, May 30, 2011.

1. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    hen sitting on eggs, one of the other hens laid a soft shelled egg in the nest, gross, mess, I cleaned (scraped with my fingernail) the egg yolk & white all ready dried when I found it, then put them back in her nest,after I cleaned it, she has been sitting for 4 to 6 days. Would you toss the eggs, or is it OK to let her hatch them? Also, I can put her in a tractor with 4, 6 week old chicks, you think that would work?I lift the tractor during the day so the chicks run with the rest of the flock, I don't think the other hens would bother going in to lay eggs in the tractor coop. don't know if the hen will accept having the chicks in with her.

2. Memphisjourney2seramas

Memphisjourney2seramas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    I have heard that you can use a very soft sandpaper to get the junk off. I have never done it. I just put some eggs in the incubator that were gross, so I washed them off, but I dont think you want to do that after a few days. Maybe take a warm cloth out there and wash them a bit. I wouldnt through them out....I think if you do the hen may say never mind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by