TOTAL GUINEA FOWL NEWBIE...questions galore

If the time has been taken to acclimate them to their new digs it is not necessary to stress them more by pitching one out and leaving the rest up. After a while the others lose interest which leaves the one to fend for himself.

My two month olds stayed very close to their coop, physically touching it. And at the first sight of what they perceived a threat they hightailed it inside. Today, after a week of hanging at their coop they finally made it up here to the other coops. At one point I walked them back for a feed stop. Once they ate they came back out and came back to the other coops. When I went out a few minutes ago they had all returned to their coop on their own.

Well our goal is to have them roam free with free choice food & water down by the barn...hopefully they stay away from the main house otherwise the dogs will kill them and we will have our meat birds sooner then we wanted...but the final goal is meat birds...so if they can live happily down by the barn in the vineyard and shooting range...keeping ticks and other pests off the grapes and shooting range...they will live a very happy and peaceful life and HOPEFULLY procreate wiht one another and make more babies and eventually have a big flock down there. Then on occasion we can pluck off one bird for dinner here and there, but not too often...because we don't want to upset the flock too much...hopefully we will find that balance....and hopefully the circle of life will continue in a peaceful way. BUT if not, then we'll have some loud birds that will be pain in the arse pets. LOL :wink:

We most likely won't buy any birds until next spring now, because the season is nearly over and our house is currently ripped up for some remodeling (walls torn out, foundation cut into, pipes everywhere) and it's not a good time to add another 'project' to the list.
wink.png

Reason for asking is that I have my guineas ranging on 8 to 9 acres and they pretty much get to every corner and then some. I do not have neighbors but if we did they would probably be over there checking them out. Our property is not fenced though....

I have four ginuea fowls two males and 2 females. They are laying eggs n sharing the nest with my hens as there is only one in the coop. I m picking up the eggs of the hens n eating them while leaving the eggs of fowls behind. Want to know that would my female ginuea will brood n sit on the eggs till hatchlings or do i have to arrange some incubator for them?

We got some keets. I am worried that when they grow up they will wander to our neighbor's property and then the neighbors will kill them. (They have a fence) We are free ranging them and don't want them to be confined in our small garden. Any suggestions???

We got some keets. I am worried that when they grow up they will wander to our neighbor's property and then the neighbors will kill them. (They have a fence) We are free ranging them and don't want them to be confined in our small garden. Any suggestions???

Why would the neighbors kill them? But yes, they will wander. My guineas cover a 15-20 acre radius. Thats 15-20 acres from the center. The coop being the center. Far larger area than I ever imagined.

Back
Top Bottom