Total Mutts. 5-7 weeks old. Gender?

WYOwhy

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 10, 2010
Wyoming
I know we are still a little young to tell for sure, and the pictures are not top quality - but guesses are appreciated.

The oldest, Daphne, clearly has some EE but is totally a mutt. I see some real rooish characteristics - look at that tail and her colors, but then I also see some EE pullet to her too. What do you think?
PA140039.jpg

PA140026.jpg

PA140019.jpg

The middle child, approx 5.5 weeks old, Helen. Five toes, just started growing in some leg feathers, clearly a child of the Barred Rock roo. Banty-sized? Look at the red in the comb and early waddles. But her behavior is the most pullet of the bunch. Could she be a girl?
PA140029.jpg

PA140035.jpg

PA140002.jpg

Io, my club footed baby. Also smaller than I expect. I've got no guess to her gender, but I'm hoping she is a pullet. Please... agree with me.
PA140034.jpg

PA140051.jpg

PA140006.jpg

I'd love to here your "why" behind your guess. It is educational for me.
Thanks!

#1 is a definite roo !!!!!

#2, guessing roo, due to comb size at that age, but, not for certain.

#3 looks girly to me.

I think the first one is a roo. Based on the color, with the red on the sides. Also, look at those legs, very thick. I'm not sure if I'm seeing hackle feathers, sometimes the lacing confuses me
hmm.png

Barred chick looks like a roo, due to comb size and redness at that young age. Can't tell with feathers yet, but to me barred birds are one of the easier colors to spot saddle or hackle feathers on.

Last on, I'm thinking hen, based on comb.

Here are my guesses

1) roo - really red comb for an EE/mix that age and the red/brown leakage on the wings screams roo to me
2) roo - big red comb for that age and really light coloring for a barred bird.
3) pullet - comb is very small and not red and bird has no apparent roo like characteristics

Thanks. I was afraid of that: two out of three look to be roos. Bummer.

I'm holding out hope that Helen is just a really red combed pullet. Is that silly hope to hold? How long before it is totally undeniably obvious?

But I think I'm surrendering hope on Daphne. (S)he made some crow-like noises today.

I agree that #1 is male, and # is most likely a pullet. #2 is probably a cuckoo marans cockerel, if he were darker I would think hen. I say Marans because the barring isn't barring, too disjointed kinda like it jiggles your eyes and then color of the legs (BR are yellow) and the feathers on the slate legs. In France and the UK the feathered legs are still the standard. I had 3 Cuckoo Marans hens from MPC and one had light feathering on the legs. They all had big droopy combs by the time they laid.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom