Totally depressed... How to start over

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Raelyn, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Raelyn

Raelyn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    Central North Carolina
    Well, as I'm typing Infectious Coryza has taken out most of our flock and the other ones that are still hanging on are set to be culled this afternoon. [​IMG]

We are absolutely devastated. Of course I found this forum waaaay too late and we had bought quite a few full grown laying hens at an auction. [​IMG]

So now we are out $$$ for these hens, and have the stress of getting to know and love them and now having to watch them die.

How do you start over? Is it even possible? We have a huge coop and run and these chickens have free ranged over about an acre. How do we ever get it "clean" for new chickens??

I'm also committed to ONLY buying from reputable breeders, but is it "safer" to buy hatching eggs? Can I buy chicks or is that a no-no as well?

I guess I just need help trying to figure out what steps I need to go through to clean things up and start over. [​IMG]

2. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I would clean/scrub your coop with bleach and let it air out. I would buy only day old chicks from hatcheries or breeders, or hatching eggs no starter pullets or full grown hens. If you do buy older birds make sure to quarantine for 30 days. So sorry this has happened to you, good luck,

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  3. LaBaze

LaBaze Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Covington, LA
    Im so very sorry for you and your flock.... but you know what will cheer you up? Getting a bunch of baby chicks!
    We have gotten chicks from local stores, hatcheries where they were shipped and are currently hatching eggs. So any of those will get you fine chicks.
    Ive never gotten them from auction cause I dont know how those chickens are getting treated and for all I know they were being abused.
    Get some chicks and start your flock over it will make you feel better!
    Sorry for your loss and have fun picking out chicks or hatching eggs!

4. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I am so sorry about this, I worry everyday about my own luck running out. On a brighter note I would do as the earlier post said and clean good and get some healthy chicks. I actually clean a couple times a year with bleach and a pressure washer to try and ward of anything I can.

5. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    I m so sorry for your loss. I recently purchased a bird and it ended up with Coryza. It is hard to deal with. I would do as the above posts and clean the coop with bleach water.

6. Urban Chaos

Urban Chaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2011
    Austin
    Quote:x2

We were so sad when our 9 died (eaten by our dogs ) But, you just have to pick youself up and get some fuzzybutts [​IMG]

7. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I'm sorry for your loss. I would speak with your state agricultural department regarding sanitation of existing coops and how best to do it.

I would practice extreme precautions on any new flocks.

I have heard before that Coryza has a very long life in the ground, so you need to get information about how long and you may need to wait a while or totally rebuilt your housing in another area. Best wishes and please please isolate for a long time any new flocks, including babies!

You have seen this tragedy and I'm glad you are wise enough to ask for help...

8. Raelyn

Raelyn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    Central North Carolina
    Thanks for the kind words everyone. [​IMG]

9. tigercreek

tigercreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Had a run in with it. Bought some layers that must have been carriers, cause when I bought some from a different source, they came down with it after mixing with the orginal birds. Got rid of themall, and disinfected with Oxine and now have 18 6 week olds in the coop. They have been in for a week and I have not seen any problems yet. Here is a good link with a good article about it.

http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/contents.htm

.........stan

10. Roadstump

Roadstump Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2011
    Boerne, Texas
    this might be a stupid question but how do they get Coryza and is there any way to check a bird before it's too late?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by