Totally Normal Behaviour + Rattling??

ahornstein

Hatching
Apr 1, 2021
Hey all! New to posting on BYC, but I've been lurking for awhile.

I live in Israel and have 3 new hens who all moved in 8 days ago. All the 'local' breed, about 7 months old. They are, apparently, all egglayers and were all vaccinated as chicks. We are fairly new to the backyard chicken game, but my kids adore them and take such wonderful care of them.
One of the hens, Buffy, seems to be the dominant one by far, she eats first and makes it clear she is in charge. She is energetic and eats/drinks very well, loves to dust and sun bathe and is overall an extremely happy chicken.

So what is this very strange noise she is making? Something between a purr and a rattle.. No discharge, no open mouthed breathing. She is on the same schedule as the other girls, but has yet to lay an egg (Bell, our calmest and smallest, has laid 3, and Blue, our most skittish, has laid 1). I'm concerned about the rattle and worried that she is ill. I spoke to the farmer we got them from and he said she was 100% healthy a week ago (and I trust and believe him) - so of course I have no idea what to do.

We keep the coop and the run very clean but could probably be improved with a bit more ventilation.. I've read that symptoms could come up from stress and then revert to normal, but of course I am concerned. Any thoughts? Thank you!

Could you record a video of her making the sound? Does the sound accompany her breathing, is it constant, and is anything else irregular like her eating, drinking, or movements.

A video of her breathing would be very helpful. Does it sound like a wheezing sound? Honking? Or gurgling?

A video of her breathing would be very helpful. Does it sound like a wheezing sound? Honking? Or gurgling?
Of those sounds listed, closest to gurgling. I tried to peek into the coop but didn't want to bother them too much since it's late (almost 11pm). I will attach a video tomorrow. But definitely closest to gurgling.. or maybe purring but it's clearly with each breath.

Of those sounds listed, closest to gurgling. I tried to peek into the coop but didn't want to bother them too much since it's late (almost 11pm). I will attach a video tomorrow. But definitely closest to gurgling.. or maybe purring but it's clearly with each breath.
Nighttime might be the best time to take the video....that's when I notice any breathing problems.
Oh, and.....vids must be up loaded to youtube then linked here.

Back
Top Bottom