Tough Chicken

I figure 2 pounds of ice per bird and an extra 20-40 pounds just to be prepared. When chilling initially I use an Ice/water mix, but once down to temp, I drain the water and use just ice for a day or two. Of course as it melts you end up with ice water again, but that seems to stay below 40* which is your goal.

I actually love the taste of older chicken. 32 weeks the chicken isn’t tender enough to fry but plenty of recipes in slow cooking the chicken. Assuming that your chickens have been free ranging, the meat should have much more depth and flavor and the bones / carcass can make magnificent stock. The stock you can freeze and use to enhance a bunch of different dishes.

I’ve actually had hens that were over a year old and the texture of the meat was chewy but not inedibly tough. So 32 weeks, if the texture is chewy, maybe you can cut the chicken into smaller, more manageable bites and use in a stir fry. Smaller chucks maybe more mangeable than say biting into an entire chewy drumstick. If the chicken was really tough, maybe slow cook in a crockpot and then make shredded chicken for whatever recipe. :)

Back
Top Bottom