tough chicken

Valiantfarm

In the Brooder
Oct 26, 2021
i tried Delaware's for the first time. let them grow to 16 weeks, butchered them the same way i always do with cornish cross. soak in a ice cold water bath before bagging and freezing, and my GOD is it tough. I couldn't even chew it. i did the same thing that i do with the cornish cross. i want to also note that they were VERY small. average 3 lbs.

what did i do wrong? thanks!

How did you cook? Resting in cooler or refrigerator until rigor mortis has passed?
Cooking method depends on age
Screenshot_20230620-171433.png

just soaked in ice cold water bath, like i always do. then i bag, tag and freeze.

usually ill bag the longest soaking first, then work my way through them
Try resting until joints move freely, can do this after they thaw. I thought I was trying to eat rubber bands when I didn't rest a heritage bird.
If still tough , brining might help. Or marinate in something acidic to help break down the muscle fibers.... vinegar, pineapple ect

Sounds like you were eating it while rigor mortis was going on. Rest it 24-72 hours in the fridge until the joints move freely. Grab the drumstick and see if you can wiggle it. If you can, you're good to eat or freeze. Then, like others said, since it's a 16 week old bird you might want to do a low and slow cooking method.

I'm guessing last time you may have eaten it before rigor set in.

Sounds like you were eating it while rigor mortis was going on. Rest it 24-72 hours in the fridge until the joints move freely. Grab the drumstick and see if you can wiggle it. If you can, you're good to eat or freeze. Then, like others said, since it's a 16 week old bird you might want to do a low and slow cooking method.

I'm guessing last time you may have eaten it before rigor set in.
Even at 16 weeks the meat is almost non existent, and that's what the breeder recommends to wait to butcher till. Maybe Delaware chickens are just garbage, IDK. I always soaked and bagged and never had an issue with rigor mortis with Cornish cross.

Where did you get your Delawares? I'm raising Delawares as eggers/pets but have been in contact with a breeder with Dellies raised to the standard weight. My Dellies are smaller than hers by a lot. Not a good meat bird. She says her birds are good to butcher around 12-13 weeks I believe.

Heritage birds may need longer rest times to allow rigor mortis to pass. Also, were they cockerels? Even when properly rested, a 16 week old cockerel is going to be noticeably more chewy than a CX. Although it shouldn't be so tough that slow or pressure cooker is needed, it would be best if slowly oven roasted, as opposed to grilling, frying or quick roasting.

Back
Top Bottom