1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tough egg decision and question about incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by marvun22, Nov 23, 2013.

1. marvun22

marvun22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    I just got a Little Giant 9200 still air incubator and the Egg Turner for it as well. I was going to hatch Muscovy duck eggs, but I'm paying a high amount for those eggs. Since I've never incubated before, I was planning to incubate some low risk eggs and make sure I got the hang of it before I put in my expensive Muscovy eggs. What is one of the best low risk eggs. I was going against chickens, because 1 more rooster would make it chaotic. Do you have any suggestions to what I should get? I currently raise ducks as well. I could consider turkeys. Wait, let me rephrase that. What is the best kind of bird that I would be getting straight run in that wouldn't cause chaos with extra males? And my question about the little giant still air incubator with auto egg-turner. How do I get water in the water trays because there is the turner and eggs above it.

2. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Turkeys would work great with a flock..if that is what you are asking.

As for the water and turner, just move the eggs aside, put some water in between the rows.

3. marvun22

marvun22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    One problem though. I'm starting Muscovy incubation March 17, 2013. That means I'd have to start Turkey Incubation February 17 for Turkeys. Would eggs be available that time of year? And if not, any more suggestions on something. I might just have to do ducks.

4. ChickenAndMore

ChickenAndMore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    Texas
    I use a straw and funnel to get water into the water trays.

5. OrpObsessed

OrpObsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2013
    East Texas
    You could try chicken eggs then sell the chicks as straight run when they hatch?

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've given eggs to folks locally to test their incubators, with the agreement I get either half or all the chicks back when they're hatched. I don't have an incubator (that would be too dangerous!), and this way I get some chicks hatched if I don't have a broody. I'd say post an ad on your local Craigslist for fertile eggs, and offer to give the chicks back once they're hatched. I'd think you'd get several takers---everyone loves chicks!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by