"Tough ole Birds"

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by PamperedChix, Dec 19, 2013.

1. PamperedChix

PamperedChix New Egg

Dec 19, 2013
    My husband raves about how tender our chickens are. Everyone knows how the "more mature" hens can be a bit tough; or at least mine were. I understand that these chickens are not the plumped up commercial grade chickens bought in the grocery store; and these chickens were our older hens (2 + years old), so I knew I would have to slow cook them to make them tender. I tried several recipes and they still came out chewy; then I baked them in my Pampered Chef covered baker. I knew the covered baker was great for cooking my ribs and stews so I wondered if this may work. The Covered Baker is glazed stoneware; if you have used staoneware you know how wonderful these products are. I baked two chickens @325 for a few hours and then let them cool for a while before I deboned them. I made “Chicken with black beans and cream cheese” I will post this recipe later. If you are interested in looking at this item go to my website: http://www.pamperedchef.biz/CarolynsCookingNow
    under stoneware.[​IMG]
  2. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Funny - I saw your title about tough ole birds and was ready to talk about my 8-year-old Brahma hen, Frack.

Now I'm cringing about the thought of eating my favorite pet!

Sounds yummy, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by